Chapter 5

"Katrien Kotetsu," Yamamoto spoke up. "You have been nominated by your Captain, as well as recommended by two other Captains to assume this title." The Head Captain interlaced his fingers in front of him, leaning on the desk. "There is not much in your record, due to how young you are. However, from the reports that are present, it is outstanding. On top of that, your Captain has reported that you have taken on Squad Eleven members when they are out of line in your Division, an accomplishment in itself. You have no Reiatsu, no zanpakuto, yet you were made a Lieutenant fresh out of the Academy. I admit, when your Captain made that decision I was not sure she was making the best one.

        "Your medical record is most impressive, having a higher survival rate with your patients than those with Reiatsu. Captain Unohana, Kuchiki, and Ukitake all say your specialty is in herbs and natural remedies. Your sister, Isane, has a zanpakuto and Reiatsu. That goes for Kiyone too. Care to explain that?"

        "I was not blessed with their gifts. I was the odd one of the family, which is why I strived to be better and do something with myself. Herbalist medicine has always fascinated me, so I started from there and taught myself."

        "How did you enter the Academy?"

        "I approached the Head and showed him my skills in healing. He allowed me in after I displayed my knowledge in the field."

        "Most Soul Reapers when they go for the position of Captain they have accomplished Shikai and Bankai. You have neither. Why should you have this position?"

        Katrien chuckled, looking away from the Head Captain, staring out the side window. "I'm going to be honest with you Head Captain, I still don't know why those Captains appointed me. Like you said, I have no zanpakuto, no Reiatsu, I am only eighteen years of age, and barely have any experience in the Soul Reaper field. I don't know if I am ready for this position, but if people believe in me then I will give it my all to prove them right. I'm not one to back away from a position. Strong wise in combat I have nothing, but I'm not stupid, Head Captain, I know what I'm doing. I can lead a Squad of people on missions, and can heal those injured on the field. I am not only useful in strategy, but in medicine as well. If I am appointed as a Captain, I will protect every member with my life."

        "Hmm..."

        The Head Captain sat back in his chair, tapping his lips with his still clasped hands. A light smile then came to them and he chuckled. "Spoken like a true Captain." Katrien's lips twitched in a smile. "I too do not know if you are ready for the position quite yet, but I know one day you will do wonders."

        "All I ask is that if I do not get this position now, then teach me how to grow."

        "I know you will. There is no doubt in my mind you will continue to improve." Yamamoto closed her file. "That is everything I need. Thank you, Miss. Kotetsu." Katrien nodded, standing, then bowed. "And Katrien." She stopped at the door, turning to look at the Head Captain. "Don't sell yourself short."

        The Lieutenant smiled warmly. "Thank you, Head Captain."

----------

        "How did your interview go?" Byakuya asked. Katrien shrugged her shoulders as she reached up into a cherry blossom tree. Her fingers caressed some petals carefully.

        "Alright, I guess," she answered. "The Head Captain asked me a few questions and I answered them." Her arm wrapped around the tree trunk as she swung herself around, facing Byakuya once again. He was training with his zanpakuto a few feet away. "What really stands in my way of the position is my age and lack of experience in the field."

        Byakuya snorted. "Who cares? You told me age doesn't matter, remember?"

        Katrien laughed, coming up beside him and draping an arm across his shoulders. "A Captain's spot is a heavy position, kid. I still have a lot to learn, just like you do. You don't become a Captain over night."

        He rolled his eyes in response. "Whatever you say, Katrien."

----------

        "I have come to announce that the Captain position will go to Kisuke Urahara," Yamamoto announced at the next meeting. "The choice was a tough one, but made none-the-less. Katrien Kotetsu." The Lieutenant looked up at the old man. "If not for your age you would have been given the position." She nodded in understanding. "Therefore, the next Captain position that comes open will be given to you immediately in the future." Her head snapped up, eyes wide in surprise. "Keep the proposal in mind for when the time comes."

        "I-I will," Katrien answered, still in shock. "Thank you, Head Captain."

----------

        "You didn't get the position?" Byakuya asked in shock. Katrien and him were walking through the cherry blossom gardens. She nodded in response.

        "It's not all bad news, Byakuya," the Lieutenant reassured. "The Head Captain said if another position for a Captain comes up, I would be the first in line." The young teen's eyes lit up. Katrien smiled at him before looking back up into the treetops. "How has your training been?"

        "Good. I found out my zanpakuto's name the other day."

        Now it was Katrien's turn for her eyes to light up in excitement. "Really? What is it?"

        "Senbonzakura."

        "Thousand cherry blossoms..." Katrien said in thought. She gave him an eye-closing smile. "I love it. It's a perfect name. Let me know when you've learned to activate your Shikai. I bet it's beautiful."

        Byakuya blushed slightly, but looked away. "Katrien?"

        "Hmm?" she asked, looking up at the cherry blossoms again. 

        Something pink caught her attention from the corner of her eyes and she looked down to see a large, beautiful cherry blossom. Byakuya was holding it up to her, his gaze on the ground. "I'm sorry you didn't become a Captain... you deserved it..."

        Katrien gave him a heart warming smile, bending down and catching him in a hug around the neck. "Thank you," she whispered. When the older teen released him, Katrien took the flower and fixed it in her bright auburn hair. "How does it look?"

        "It... looks nice," Byakuya answered, unable to find the right words for her beauty.

        Katrien smiled again before being called away by a maid to return to her Division. "Beautiful..." he murmured, walking off to the training grounds. If anything he was more determined to achieve Shikai, and see if what Katrien had said before were true. To see if his zanpakuto truly was as beautiful as her...