Chapter 8

110 Years Later

        "Ooo! What's that over there?" Rukia exclaimed in excitement, pointing across the street.

        Ichigo looked over lazily. "That? A fortune teller owns that shop," he answered. "Why?"

        "She tells your future?"

        "Yeah, something like that. Tellers do various things."

        "Come on!" she exclaimed, taking his hand and dragging him across the street. "Let's go!"

        "No way am I going in there!"

        "Oh come on, I want to go!"

        The bell to the shop rang as the door opened and the two walked in. Gipsy beads and medallions hung from the ceiling, walls decorated with various pendulums, cards, veils, tapestries, and other gipsy ordainments. The beads that draped over the entrance to the back room jingled and they looked up, watching as a young woman walked out.

        She was dressed in an off-white long sleeve, off the shoulders shirt, the sleeves poof-ing out near the wrists. A brown string criss-crossed in the front near the top. A bright orange skirt sat on her hips, reaching the ankles. The hip scarf, which was tied around her mid section, was a mixture of red and yellow, medallions sewed to the ends. Medallion earrings hung from each lobe, similar bracelets around her right ankle and left wrist. Also in the same places were golden ringed bracelets. Her dark espresso colored hair was a mess of loose curls, pulled back lightly behind her right ear, a medallion headdress circling the head twice.

        "Welcome," she greeted with a warm smile. "What can I do for you?"

        "She's new to this," Ichigo spoke up, pointing at Rukia. "What do you suggest for someone who's never done this before?"

        "Hmm... tarot cards, crystal ball, or palm reading," the woman answered.

        "Tarot cards, please," Rukia answered. "They sound interesting."

        "Of course. Please have a seat." They sat on the pillows on the floor, around a table. "My name is Madame Roxanna," she introduced herself as while shuffling the cards. "What would your names be?"

        "Ichigo Kurosaki."

        "Rukia Kuchiki."

        Roxanna froze slightly. "Kuchiki," the woman mused. "That name sounds familiar... maybe I've had a relative of yours as a customer before?"

        The girl laughed. "That's very unlikely. I have a brother, Byakuya."

        Roxanna smiled sweetly, placing the cards facedown on the table. "Sorry, my dear, but that does not ring a bell. Now, shall we see what the cards foretell...?" She flipped over the specific cards before her, brows furrowing. "Interesting..."

        "What's interesting?"

        "You've just went through a rough ordeal, but it's not over." That caught Ichigo's attention. "There will be more trials on the path ahead." Roxanna looked up, locking eyes with Rukia. "You were betrayed by someone, weren't you?" Rukia nodded slowly, shocked that the teller could see this. Roxanna's eyes went back to the cards, pointing to them as she went. "It's not over, this act of betrayal. Those close to you, they're lives will be put on the line."

        "And?" Ichigo asked when Roxanna stopped.

        "I'm sorry," she said, shaking her head. "That is all I can give you. I only see what might happen, not what will."