Chapter 3

"Alright, you're all better," Katrien relayed when she made her final assessment of Byakuya.

        "Thank you, Lieutenant."

        Katrien sighed. "Byakuya, how many times do I have to tell you to call me Katrien?"

        "But-"

        "I don't care if I have a high position. It makes me feel old, and I'm not. Don't make me catch you in a headlock."

        The boy shuddered slightly, remembering the last time... "Alright, alright."

        "So, what are you doing today?"

        "Grandfather is having me train again now that I'm all better. I have a lot to catch up on."

        "Well, don't strain yourself too much," Katrien said, gathering up her things. "It's still winter and I don't want to have to come back and treat you again for another sickness."

        "Katrien," Byakuya spoke up and she turned back around as she went to leave. He was holding out a package. "F-For you," he stuttered.

        Katrien was shocked by the gesture. "Byakuya, you didn't have to."

        "I wanted to. You helped me get better faster than any other person has before. I wanted to thank you."

        She smiled at him, taking the package and opening it. Inside was a new, heavy kimono top. It was dark blue with a white feather pattern on it. "It's beautiful," Katrien whispered, feeling the material.

        "I noticed the one you wear was getting worn. We don't want you getting sick."

        The Lieutenant smiled widely, leaning down slightly to hug the teen around the neck. "Thank you so much. I'll cherish it."

----------

        "Oi! Lieutenant Kotetsu!" the Lieutenant turned to see Shinji coming up to her.

        "Good after noon, Captain, what can I do for you?"

        "Nothing much. I just wanted to walk with you is all. After all, you are the first girl I ever loved."

        Suddenly, something, more like someone, came soaring through the air, slamming into Shinji's back. The Captain went flying through the hallway before crashing into a wall. Hyori stood in the place he once occupied, glaring. "Knock it off!" she yelled, waving a fist at the cowering Captain.

        "So mean," Shinji whined, holding his bloody nose. "I was just telling the truth."

        Katrien laughed at the situation as Hyori stomped on his head. "Are they at it again?" a new voice grumbled, coming up alongside her.

        The Lieutenant looked up to find Kensei. "Of course," Katrien answered with a smile. "How are you feeling today, Captain?" The Captain had been one of her patients during the last few days.

        "A lot better."

        "Where is your Lieutenant?"

        "Luckily I managed to loose her for now. For how long, I do not know."

        She chuckled in response. They continued to watch Hyori and Shinji fight before Kensei spoke up in a low voice, "I have a word of warning for you."

        "Hmm?" Katrien mused.

        "Be careful when going out beyond the walls of the Soul Society."

        "Is something going on?" she asked in interest.

        "I'm not sure... something strange happened a few days ago when the Tenth Squad went out. Probably nothing, but still the same, be careful. You don't have Reiatsu like other Soul Reapers. You'll be an easy target."

        Katrien sighed lightly. "I know, and I will, thank you for the heads up."

----------

        "Byakuya?" Katrien sang, one day in the winter months. Ever since Byakuya had gotten well, his grandfather wanted Katrien to come by once every two weeks to make sure he did not fall ill again.

        The teen poked his head around a corner, spotting the Lieutenant. "You're early," Byakuya noted, meeting her halfway down the hall.

        She smiled down at him, ruffling his hair. "I have something for you," she continued in her singsong voice. Byakuya cocked an eyebrow before a package appeared in front of his eyes. "Happy 'early' Birthday! I know it's this weekend, but I won't be here, so I wanted to give this to you now."

        "How did you know?" he asked, surprised. "I never told you."

        Katrien tapped her lips, winking. "I have my ways. Open it and tell me what you think!"

        Byakuya unwrapped the paper to find arm guards and some of Katrien's special tea. The teen had grown a liking to the flavor of tea only she had. He was very surprised by the gifts. "I figured, now that you're training is getting harder, swords will get closer as well in combat."

        "T-Thank you, Katrien, but I can't-!"

        "Oh, take it. I'm ordering you to. Besides, you gave me a kimono top to wear around in this cold weather, which I am very grateful. I'm sure I would've probably gotten sick this year if it wasn't for the article of clothing. We've been having one nasty season."

        Byakuya nodded, slipping on the guards. They were a perfect fit. "Where did you get them?"

        Katrien smirked. "I never reveal my secrets," she answered, giving him a wink.