Prologue | Rock With You

{Started June 22, 2018}
{Completed August 26, 2018}

Zac let out a laugh, enjoying whatever his best friend Nate was saying. He wasn't really listening, but he knew it was funny. Everyone else at the table was laughing. He took a look around, his eyes landing on an elderly couple on the opposite side of the diner.

That couple looked in love as the guy spooned icecream into his wife's mouth. She let out a laugh as some chocolate syrup stained her cheek. The man grabbed a napkin, wiping away the gooeyness.

Zac suddenly felt like he was missing something. He had the looks, the smarts, and the athletic abilities. He even had the money. He didn't think he needed anything else, but upon seeing this couple in love, he felt like he was missing that. Yeah, he had endless hook ups and one night stands. He was known to just be one and done. So, why was he suddenly feeling like he needed that?

He had his whole life ahead of him, being accepted into all the elite schools, not only for his grades but for football as well. He didn't need some high school romance to satisfy his needs. He knew that as soon as that diploma was handed out, the relationship would be over. Plus, his parents weren't the best at being examples of happy couples in love.

They were together for the money, but each one had their own secret-ish relationship, hiding it from the public. They just couldn't tell his grandparents they wanted a divorce. They'd take their wealth away. That he was sure he couldn't live without.

"Hey Zac. Why are you staring at that couple?" His best friend Nate asked. Zac took one last glance at them and turned to see the entire table's attention on him.

"I was curious as to why an old lady was giggling. After watching that scene, I think i'm going to be sick." He lied smoothly. Nate raised an eyebrow. He could tell when he was lying. He was the only one. Being best friends since kindergarten had his perks. He just hoped his best friend would buy it for the time being. He didn't want to discuss his weird thoughts in front of the guys. He was sure they'd think he was going soft.

"Any way, party at your house this weekend?" Nate asked. Zac smirked. He was known to throw the best parties. He had the money and the mansion for it.

"Right after we beat the Liberty Lions' ass." He smirked. The whole table started to bang on the table, cheering. He let out a laugh. This was all he was ever going to need. He doesn't need a stupid girl or love. He just needed this.

-

She stared at her idiot brothers. They were wrestling each other in their backyard. If you could even call it that. It was a small patch of grass, surrounded by dirt. A fence surrounding them. There wasn't even a tree. It was just dried up dirt.

"Hails, what's for dinner?" Her youngest brother Seth asked. He was fifteen, with blond hair and bright blue eyes. He was the smarter of the bunch, always striving for excellence in his school work.

"Pizza. I have some extra money from my shift at Carl's." She told them. Carl's was the diner in town. She had gotten a job there as soon as she turned sixteen. The owner, Carl, gave her work immediately. She thought it was out of pity, but she ignored it. She really needed the money.

"Hailey, let me pay." Her oldest brother Josh said. He was tall, buff, and tanner than the rest. He worked in construction, being four years out of high school. He was their guardian and has been since he was sixteen. His hazel eyes stared into her own. She sighed.

"Josh, I want to pay." She said firmly. The next eldest brother Ben took the distraction of Josh, to tackle him. "Ben!"

"That fucking hurt." Josh said getting out of Ben's grasp. He rubbed the back of his head, annoyance radiating off him.

"Dude, just let her pay. She's the only other person that contributes to this family." Ben said. Josh stared at him as Luke let's out a cough.

"I second him." Luke found himself saying. Josh glared at Luke next. Luke had dark blue eyes and dirty blond hair, practically brown, while Ben had bright blue eyes and light blond hair. Both were amazing in sports. Ben having gotten an athletic scholarship to the nearest community college for baseball. Luke played football for the high school, being a junior and a year younger than her.

"Joshie!" They heard a soft voice. The five of them turned around, seeing their youngest sister Trinity. She was only ten and full of energy. They all switch off with putting her to bed. She never wants to sleep and always wants to play.

"Yes Trin?" Josh asked. They all stared at her intently.

"Hailey said she's buying pizza. Is that true?" She asked. Josh sighed, before nodding.

"Dial the number Hails. And get breadsticks too." Josh said giving in. She smirked. Josh can never say no to Trinity. That girl has his heart. Sometimes she envied the power she had.

"Hey Hails, can we go grocery shopping later this week? We're out of Gatorade." Ben said. She nodded. They drink those way too quick, but she knew they need to. They do have sports practice every day.

"Great. It's settled. Now let's go inside and wash up." Josh said. The boys all nodded, going into their small three bedroom home. She sighed in content.

Even though her brothers were a pain in her butt, she wouldn't trade them for the world. They had been on their own for eight years now and nothing was ever going to change. She just wished that they'd be able to afford sending her to college.

She wanted nothing more than to become a nurse and have the ability to help others, but she didn't know if she'd ever be able to. All she could hope for was a happy ending, even if that meant giving up her dream for reality.

~~~~~~~
Author's Note

This is my first story in a third-person point of view. I wrote a few chapters in my previous stories, but now this entire story will be voicing the thoughts of Zac and Hailey, at the same time. I'm a little nervous, but excited to see how this turns out.
It's also my first time using songs within the chapters. I just want to show more emotion through the story through song. Let me know what you think and leave some song suggestions! I honestly don't venture from Austin Mahone, Jake Miller, Shawn Mendes, Hannah Montana and High School Musical. Your typical fangirl, pop songs. So, keep that in mind with the songs chosen.
Lastly, thank you for giving this story a chance. I love feed back and cannot wait to get this story going.
xoxo,
Liv814