Chapter 5 | She Looks So Perfect

Zac stepped outside into the cool night. The sun had set into the ocean and the sea breeze was lightly blowing. It was peaceful, yet his night was not. The twins were hot on his tail as he said those words to them. They wanted to know everything. That was one thing they for sure had in common: they loved gossip.

When he arrived, he walked right into the Green household. They lived on the beach, having their own private one in their backyard. They threw some of the best parties, aside from his own. They hardly threw them now because their mom was home more often.

Zac was envious of their relationship with their parents. He wanted to be close with them. He wanted to share how his day went and what classes he hated.; how football was going and that funny thing Evan did at lunch. There was nothing more that he wished for than for his parents to forget about the money and focus on him and his life. They were always engrossed in having everything but their son.

As Zac stepped into the Green's home, he heard laughter from upstairs. He jogged up the stairs and found the twins in their arcade room. They were sitting on beanbags as they stared at the big screen with remote controls in their hand. He could only guess they were playing Fortnite. Empty soda cans and chip bags littered the room as half eaten candy bags sat on the floor. He could only guessed they had been playing for hours.

"Yo." He said flopping onto an unoccupied bag. The twins let out a grunt, too focused on their game. Zac sighed. He knew what would cause them to forget about the game and pay attention to him. He let out a deep breath before speaking. "I met Hails family."

The controllers then dropped, making noise on the ground. He saw the pair had paused their game and were staring at him with wide hazel eyes. At least they were paying attention to him now. He waited as they gathered their thoughts. Bella was the first to speak.

"Did you just say you met Hailey's family?" She asked with disbelief. Zac nodded.

"What? How? Why? This early? You aren't even dating." Evan spoke next. Zac shrugged. It all happened too quick.

"I know. I found Hailey at the beach. She told me about her parents and then somehow that led to the conversation about her siblings and then we got to me coming over to meet them." Zac told them. The twins continued to stare with wide eyes. "They were awesome, by the way."

"So then why are you here, looking like you are about to shit your pants?" Bella asked. She was always a little vulgar, but she had grown up with him and Nate. It wasn't until high school where Bella met Mariah. Soon, the five were best friends, even if Mariah pretends to hate them. They all know she loves them and wouldn't trade them for anything in the world.

"Because," Zac said feeling his cheeks heat up. "We were going to kiss until one of her brothers interrupted."

"Oh my god. You guys kissed!" Bella screeched. Zac covered his ears before hearing the noise muffled. He saw Evan with a pillow in her face. He chuckled.

"Dude, you just met her and you already fallen for her. I told you that you liked her." Evan said with a smirk. Zac rolled his eyes. He didn't bother denying it. He did like her, but her brother Ben was right. They needed to be friends to see if they truly did get along. It had to be more than just physical attraction.

"I'm still confused. Why are you here and not there, if you like her?" Bella asked once Evan took the pillow off her face. Her eyes were calculating, trying to figure him out. He sighed.

"Because, I need to be friends with her first. We just met a week ago. Plus, I can't just jump into a relationship. I don't even know how to be in one." He found himself saying. Next thing he knew, pillows were being thrown at him. He got off the beanbag and ran out of the room. He heard a grunt from behind and saw the twins were right behind him. He took a sharp turn and ran down the stairs, being careful to not trip. He went straight to the sliding doors that led to the backyard. As he stepped outside, the ocean waves crashed, bringing a sense of tranquility that was soon cut off by the loud and obnoxious twins.