Chapter 3 | Summer Shade

Hailey was still starstruck. She had no idea how her life could do a 180. She was used to being alone, with her siblings, trying to get through life. Now, she was walking down the hallway with friends. She actually had people to call friends.

She turned to look at the two girls walking with her. The whole school had their eyes on them. She was freaking walking with Mariah Carter and Bella Green. She always thought they were airheads and stuck up, but they weren't. They were intellectual, sweet, and most importantly, not snobby. She had judged them way too quick and vowed to never do it again.

"Hailey, do you want to come with us to Carl's later?" Mariah asked. Her blond locks bounced as they neared homeroom. The two girls were surprised to know that they shared multiple classes with Hailey. They even complained why they hadn't met before.

"Actually, I work there tonight." She told them, feeling embarrassed. They were all filthy rich and didn't have to help their family survive. She was envious, but knew that it kept her humble and appreciative of everything her brothers have done for her and her family.

"Wait, you work there? That's awesome! Are you guys hiring? I want to get a job so mom can stop complaining about me not doing anything. Just because my brother plays football, does not mean I have to be a cheerleader." Bella said with an eye roll. Bella was definitely not cheer material. This girl was somewhat badass, with a a snarky tongue and teasing tone. She rather be hanging with the boys then going dress shopping with the girls. Hailey admired Bella's acne free skin and bright hazel eyes. She was gorgeous and her personality was awesome.

"I can talk to Carl. I'm sure he'll love the help." She told her truthfully. Her boss was always complaining about the lack of help.

"That would be amazing. Thanks Hails." Bella said giving her a side hug. She gave her a small smile, still unaccustomed to their personality. They were witty, loud, and friendly, while she was shy and quiet, unsure of herself.

"Ugh." Mariah groaned as they neared their classroom. Hailey assumed it was because of their teacher. He was boring and mean. He was that teacher at the beginning of the year that had assigned seating. A few months in, and now he just glares at his students who don't follow the rules.

Hailey looked into their assigned room and she knew why Mariah had groaned. Zac and his friends were in this class. They weren't in here before, were they? Did they switch into her homeroom?

"Chill Mariah. I don't know why you complain about my brother and his friends." Bella said walking in. Hailey looked for an open seat near the front, finding one in the second row. She was about to sit when she heard her name.

"Hails, over here." She heard his melodic voice. She felt her cheeks blaze as eyes whipped towards her. She covered her face with her hair, making her way over to her new group of friends. "Why were you going to sit there?"

"I like sitting near the front." She whispered towards Zac. He rose an eyebrow, admiring her. He was attracted to this girl and it was more than just her looks. Her personality was something he knew he adored. She was different than anyone he had met and that only made him want to get to know her more.

"You won't believe what she just told us." Bella blabbed to her brother. Hailey felt uncomfortable being the center of the conversation. Thankfully, they had an open seat which she took. She looked down at the notebook in her hand. Closing her eyes, she felt her heart rate start to drop as her thoughts consumed her mind.

She was nervous. This year was her last try at getting a scholarship to be able to live her dream. She needed the grades to earn the money so she can become a nurse. She needed to put her focus in it. This was everything to her.