XXXI

I peered across the hall at the group of guys who usually made fun of the people who passed in front of them or annoy them, trying to spot the brown curls and the tall frame.

He wasn't there.

I huffed, dialing his number for the tenth time ever since I woke up.

There was something wrong, I could feel it, or maybe I was just being paranoid.

The first period bell rang, snapping me out of my trance. Walking with the crowd of people who hurried to catch their classes, I willed my mind to stop thinking about him.

But, I couldn't.

~

It was already lunch break, and I was starting to panic. I have been calling him non-stop and the call was always unanswered until I had reached a point where I just wanted him to at least decline the call; I would get from that that he was ignoring me or that he didn't want to talk to me, but it was like he was unreachable.

What if something actually happened to him? What if Jaxon saw him that night and did something to him because he ruined his plans?

What if he was just done with your bullshit and gave up? my conscious laughed.

My head was starting to hurt from thinking so much. I was walking around campus, phone in hand, when my body slammed against someone's chest.

"Why don't you use the eyes that you were given and watch where you are going?" He snapped.

I glanced towards the voice, meeting his rather annoyed expression that turned into a dark one upon seeing me. I clenched my jaw, examining the bruises on his face that faded but were still slightly visible.

We kept staring at each other, the glares shared between us, if it had the ability, could kill both of us.

He smirked, looking around me, "Where is Superman?" He paused, "Ah, not around, is he?" He tsked.

"I don't need Superman to do this," I said as my palm met his cheek in a loud impact, his head whipping to the side.

The muscles in his face tightened as he clenched his hands into tight fists. I slowly backed away then turned, ready to leave, but his hand caught the arm that slapped him and twisted it. I took a deep breath, pain shooting through my arm.

"Who do you think you are hmm?" He asked, his breath fanning my ear as he twisted my arm harder, "you little stupid brat." He pushed me to the front, his grip on my arm not ceasing. "It's a pity you are so pretty."

I pressed my lips into a thin line, calming the boiling anger inside me, as I raised my foot and aimed it just between his legs before kicking him.

He took a sharp breath as I turned around, his hand no longer holding me. I watched as his face screwed in pain and smiled, "Two can play this game," I said and walked away.

"You are going to pay for this so bad!" He roared before I turned the corner, him going completely out of sight.

I pressed my back to the wall, slouching against it, and held the arm that he twisted, hoping it won't bruise up and inflict more pain on me.

~

I watched the rose that was now placed in a tiny vase and admired it. So simple, yet so beautiful. So simple, yet so meaningful.

You are going to get one each time you survive an incident.

My chest tightened, where are you then?

The bed dipped as Zoe crept to my side. I turned my head to look at her.

She smiled and raised a sketchbook to my face, showing me a drawing of two people as I immediately recognized them.