The Hungry Earth (2)

Store Room

"Is that what happened to Mo? Are they dead?" Tony asked.

The Doctor started pacing.

"It's not quicksand. She didn't just sink - something pulled her in, it wanted her." Aubrielle spoke softly.

"The ground wanted her?" Nasreen asked unsure of what was just said.

"You said the ground was dormant, just a patch of the earth when you first saw it this morning. And the drill had been stopped." The Doctor stated.

"That's right."

"But when you re-started the drill, the ground fought back." Aubrielle spoke again.

"So what, the ground wants to stop us drilling?! Doctor, that is ridiculous."

The Doctor used the sonic screwdriver on the hole through which Amy was taken. The ground began to vibrate.

"I'm not saying that and it's not ridiculous, I just don't think it's right." The Doctor said.

"It's bio-programming!" Aubrielle shouted, understanding what had happened.

"What?!" Nasreen asked.

"Bio-programming!" The Doctor repeated Aubrielle as he clapped his hands excitedly. "Oh, clever. You use bio-signals to resonate the internal molecular structure of natural objects! It's mainly used in engineering and construction, mostly jungle planets, but that's way in the future, and not here. What's it doing here?"

"Sorry, did you just say jungle planets?" Nasreen asked baffled.

"You're not making any sense, man!" Tony tried pointing out.

"'He's making perfect sense, you're just not keeping up. The earth, the ground beneath our feet, was bio-programmed to attack." Aubrielle defended. The Doctor looked at her proudly.

"Yeah, even if that were possible, which, by the way, it's not, why?" Nasreen asked critically.

"Stop your drilling! We find what's doing the bio-programming, find Amy, get her back. Ssh ssh ssh! Have I gone mad?! I've gone mad!" The Doctor seemed to be on to something.

"Doctor."

"Ssh ssh! Silence! Absolute silence! You stopped the drill, right?" Aubrielle asked.

"Yes!"

"And you've only got the one drill?" The Doctor asked, catching on to what Aubrielle was saying.

"Yes!"

"You're sure about that?" Aubrielle questioned, raising a brow.

"Yes!"

The Doctor laid down on his stomach next to the hole, listening, he could hear a whirring sound.

"So, if you shut the drill down... why can I still hear drilling? It's under the ground." The Doctor said.

"That's not possible." Tony defended.