Playing the Victim: Year 5

Running a hand through her hair, Amisty rounded the corner in the dungeons, mentally preparing herself for the onslaught of insults and sarcastic jabs that always came with Potions. Draco was standing outside the Potions classroom, one hand waving around a piece of parchment with his other arm slung over Pansy Parkinson's shoulders. Amisty took a deep breath, looking determinedly away.

"Yeah, Umbridge gave the Slytherin Quidditch team permission to continue playing straight away, I went to ask her first thing this morning. Well, it was pretty much automatic, I mean, she knows my father pretty well, he's always popping in and out of the Ministry..." He bragged. "It'll be interesting to see whether Gryffindor are allowed to keep playing, won't it?"

"Don't rise," Hermione hissed, sending warning glances at Ron and Harry who were glaring daggers at the blond. "It's what he wants..."

"I mean, if it's a question of influence with the Ministry, I don't think they've got much chance..." Draco went on, his mouth twisting in a smirk as he caught sight of the boys. "From what my fathers says, they've been looking for an excuse to sack Arthur Weasley for years... And as for Potter... My father says it's a matter of time before the Ministry has him carted off to St. Mungo's... apparently they've got a special ward for people whose brains have been addled by magic..."

There was a inhale from behind her, and suddenly a snap of shoes against the stones. Amisty leaped out of the way as Neville lunged for Draco, her eyes wide with shock.

"Neville, no!" Harry shouted, grabbing the back of his robes and dragging him back.

Neville was seething, struggling to free himself from Harry's grasp to deck Draco. Amisty almost wished Harry'd let him go.

"Help me!" Harry gasped at Ron, throwing an arm around Neville's neck and dragging him away to the back of the line. Just in time, as well. Crabbe and Goyle, back in position to be Draco's personal bodyguards, were cracking their knuckles threateningly.

"Not... funny... don't... Mungo's... show... him..." Neville choked out, his face red and eyes wild.

Amisty stared blankly at Draco, her mouth open slightly in shock, words unable to form in her mind.

"What?" He sneered, all up on his high pedestal knowing she couldn't do anything with the two blundering idiots protecting him. "Wolf got your tongue?"

She felt her face flush, eyes narrowing. Her voice was strained as she replied, "Losing your touch, Malfoy. Should've seen it coming, I suppose, seeing how old fashioned you are."

He blanched but had no chance to reply as the dungeon swung open, revealing Snape. His dark eyes settled on Ron and Harry, both barely keeping hold of Neville.

"Lighting, Potter, Weasley, Longbottom? Ten points from Gryffindor," He sneered. "Release Longbottom, Potter, or it will be detention. Inside, all of you."

"I had to stop you," Harry whispered to Neville. "Crabbe and Goyle would've torn you apart."

Neville stalked past her, slinging his bag over his shoulder and practically throwing himself onto his seat.

"What in the name of Merlin was that about," Ron whispered, but he didn't get a reply.

Amisty followed behind Hermione, stepping over Pansy's outstretched leg and resisting the urge to retaliate with a well placed Color Jinx at her hair. They took their usual seats, surrounded by whispers about what Neville had done, and then silence as the dungeon door closed.

"You will notice that we have a guest with us today," Snape's voice was cold, his lip curled as he gestured to the pink wearing toad sitting in the corner. "We are continuing with our Strengthening Solutions today, you will find your mixtures as you left them last lesson, if correctly made they should have matured well over the weekend -- instructions on the board. Carry on."