Canaries: Year 6

Hermione was not happy.

"He's going to get in so much trouble," She said again, wringing her hands nervously as they watched the teams file onto the field. "That's cheating. . . I didn't even know Harry would - "

"Hermione," Amisty cut her off. "Malfoy's not playing."

They sat in silence for a moment, regarding what the other had just said.

"Agree to stay far away from both of those topics?" Amisty offered.

"Deal."

The whistle blew to tumultuous applause and the teams soared up into the air.

"Well, there they go, and I think we're all surprised to see the team that Potter's put together this year," Zacharias's unimpressed, monotone voice echoed around the pitch. "Many thought, given Ronald Weasley's patchy performance as Keeper last year, that he might be off the team, but of course, a close personal friendship with the Captain does help. . ."

The Slytherin end exploded with laughter as Amisty scowled.

"Oh, and here comes Slytherin's first attempt on goal, it's Urquhart streaking down the pitch and - "

Ron dived to the right, cleanly sweeping up the Quaffle in one arm.

" - Weasley saves it, well, he's bound to get lucky sometimes, I suppose. . ."

Hermione made a very valiant effort to keep her lips tightly pressed together at that comment.

In the span of about half an hour, Ginny had scored four of the six Gryffindor goals and Ron had saved nearly every goal. Fortunately, this put a dam on Zacharias's steady stream of snark. Unfortunately, on the other hand, he decided to aim his sarcastic comments onto the Beaters.

"Of course, Lamark isn't really the usual build for a Beater," Zacharias drawled, "they've generally got a bit more muscle - "

Amisty rolled her eyes, picking up the faintest cry of outrage from the Hufflepuffs. Definitely Hunter on behalf of his sister.

With a broad grin, Hazel aimed a Bludger at Harper - the replacement Slytherin Seeker. It hit her mark with a dull thunk and whoop from the Gryffindors.

Consistently, the Gryffindors kept the lead tight in their fists with save after save and score after score. Ron was in a considerably better mood than earlier that morning, beaming down as the crowd burst into a verse of "Weasley Is Our King."

The cheerful energy continued until Harper barrelled - quite purposefully - into Harry. Madam Hooch had her back turned and Harper had already sped off, feigning innocence by the time she looked around. Harry chased after him, eyes narrowed as he leaned down -

"And I think Harper of Slytherin's seen the Snitch!" Zacharias announced, suddenly much more alive. "Yes, he's certainly seen something Potter hasn't!"

Amisty scooted forward on her seat, eyes latched onto the flicker of gold soaring up into the sky. Harper had accelerated quite a bit ahead, hand already outstretched. Harry lurched upward, hair already tangled up in knots and broom nearly vertical in his desperation to catch up.

There was a moment of quiet as Harper's fingers brushed the edge of the Snitch, but then he fumbled and Harry snatched it up from right under his nose.

"YES!" Harry shouted, his voice snapping the crowd back into action.

A unanimous roar erupted, led by the Gryffindors, overwhelming the piercing whistle that signaled the end of the game.