Azkaban's Breakout: Year 5

Hermione gasped, staring with wide eyes at the front page of the Daily Prophet.

"What?"

Hermione didn't reply, instead shoving the surrounding food to the side and spreading out the newspaper on the paper. Amisty leaned forward to take a better look. Nine wizards and a witch adorned the front, sneering at the camera or simply looking bored. The pictures were labeled with their names and... why they were sent to Azkaban.

Antonin Dolohov, convicted of the brutal murders of Gideon and Fabian Prewett. A pale, twisted looking man jeered up at them.

Augustus Rookwood, convicted of leaking Ministry of Magic Secrets to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. His hair was slicked back and greasy and he leaned against the border of the portrait, looking bored.

Bellatrix Lestrange, convicted of the torture and permanent incapacitation of Frank and Alice Longbottom. She was smiling wickedly, eyes narrowed faintly with her hair curled and matted around her face.

MASS BREAKOUT FROM AZKABAN

MINISTRY FEARS BLACK IS "RALLYING POINT" FOR OLD DEATH EATERS

"Black?" Harry hissed quite audibly. "Not -- ?"

"Shhh!" Hermione shushed sharply. "Not so loud -- just read it!"

The Ministry of Magic announced late last night that there has been a mass breakout from Azkaban.

Speaking to reporters in his private office, Cornelius Fudge, Ministry of Magic, confirmed that ten high-security prisoners escaped in the early hours of yesterday evening, and that he has already informed the Muggle Prime Minister of the dangerous nature of these individuals.

"We find ourselves, most unfortunately, in the same position we were two and a half years ago when the murderer Sirius Black escaped," said Fudge last night. "Nor do we think the two breakouts are unrelated. An escape of this magnitude suggest outside help, and we must remember that Black, as the first person ever to break out of Azkaban, would be ideally placed to help others follow in his footsteps. We think it likely that these individuals, who include Black's cousin, Bellatrix Lestrange, have rallied around Black as their leader. We are, however, doing all we can to round up the criminals and beg the magical community to remain alert and cautious. On no account should any of these individuals be approached."

Amisty gave an involuntary shiver at the feral gleam in their eyes. One wizard, in particular, caught her gaze:

Rabastan Lestrange, convicted for the mass murder in the wizarding town of Everton.

Her breath caught in her throat, she tore her eyes away.

"There you are, Harry," Ron whispered, sounding breathless. "That's why he was happy last night..."

"I don't believe this," Harry fumed, fists clenched, "Fudge is blaming the breakout on Sirius?"

"What other options does he have?" Hermione replied, burying her face in her hands. "He can hardly say, 'Sorry everyone, Dumbledore warned me this might happen, the Azkaban guards have joined Lord Voldemort' -- stop whimpering, Ron -- 'and now Voldemort's worst supporters have broken out too.' I mean, he's spent a good six months telling everyone you and Dumbledore are liars, hasn't he?"