A Reminder: Year 6

The next morning, Amisty trailed down the stairs to find a new sign pinned to the notice board.

APPARITION LESSONS

If you are seventeen years of age, or will turn seventeen on

or before the 31st August next, you are eligible for a

twelve-week course of Apparition Lessons from a Ministry

of Magic Apparition instructor. Please sign below if

you would like to participate.

Amisty and Hermione ducked through the crowd and Amisty scribbled her name underneath Hunter's arm. Harry and Ron had just gotten up the queue as Hermione finished writing her name, but as soon as Ron popped into view, Lavender had crept behind him.

"Guess who, Won-Won?"

Hermione scoffed and stalked away and Amisty trailed after her, Harry quick to follow as Ron mumbled something in reply.

"Merlin," Hermione muttered under her breath, her fingers flexing around the hilt of her wand.

Surprisingly, however, Ron had caught up quickly, red with a very unhappy expression on his face. Hermione rolled her shoulders back and picked up her pace to walk with Neville. Neither of the boys said anything, but Ron's frown deepened.

Torn, Amisty glanced between them and Hermione, who was about to round the corner.

"Go ahead," Ron made a vague, half-hearted gesture toward Hermione's retreating back. "It's fine."

"Are you—?"

"It's fine."

Amisty sighed and hurried after the brunette, matching pace as soon as Hermione saw her.

"Apparition, huh?" Amisty said with faux cheer, hoping the dour expression of Hermione's face would lighten up.

"Hm," Hermione said.

"I'm nervous," Neville said, reaching up to rub the back of his neck. "What if something goes wrong? Splinching is so awful and—"

"I'm sure you'll do fine, Neville," Hermione said.

"I just wanna pass the test the first time," he said. "Get it over with, y'know?"

"Yeah," Amisty said, nodding. "It's cool, though, isn't it? Getting to pop in and out whenever."

"You still can't do it in here," Hermione said, fiddling with the strap of her bag as it slid down her shoulder. "Hogwarts isn't—"

"I know," Amisty cut her off. "But the idea of it is cool."

Hermione just rolled her eyes, but she was smiling.

Talk of Apparition was buzzing through the sixth-year class, particularly around Harry, since he had already Apparated with Professor Dumbledore.

"It's not comfortable," Harry muttered to Amisty after a set of Ravenclaws had come to badger him with questions. "Why're they all so excited by it?"

Shrugging, Amisty reached around him to grab a spare quill from her bookbag. "Popping in and out of space and time, Harry. I think that's cooler than feeling a little seasick."

They were in Charms, working on Aguamenti, and Professor Flitwick had written a few tips and tricks on the board after Seamus had sent a tidal wave cascading over the Professor's head. Seamus ended up having to do lines—which was fair—but he was still asking Harry questions now and then.