I Must Hold My Tongue: Year 5

In the safety of her dormitory, with fireworks blasting off still strong as ever outside the window, Amisty opened up the note Draco had given her.

Dear Amisty,

The entire Inquisitorial Squad has been assigned to read letters coming in, out, and through the castle under Headmistress Umbridge's orders, so this is the safest way I could get this to you. I'm sorry about the points... though I'm sure you understand why. Easter hols are coming up, and if you need any help with exams, just let me know. We can figure out something so that we don't get caught. I'm a Slytherin for a reason, after all, and there's a reason our emblem is a snake.

See you soon, Draco

She smiled and tucked it away with the rest of her letters, surprised how much he could get so much on such a tiny piece of parchment.

"Are you and Malfoy arguing again?" Hermione asked, knocking on one of the posts of her bed.

"Umbridge doesn't want me seeing him anymore," Amisty replied, unbothered. "Good thing I'm a decent actor."

Hermione took a seat at the foot of her bed, "Don't you have detention tonight?"

Amisty smiled, "Nope, tomorrow night. Although, I think it would have been absolutely delightful to have had detention tonight."

"Is it true you kissed him?" Hermione blurted.

Amisty paused.

"Yes?"

"You don't sound very sure of yourself," Hermione replied.

"I did..." Amisty nodded, looking up at her. "Is there something you need to say, Hermione?"

She took a deep breath, "Did either of you look into why your eyes turned gold?"

"I didn't think it was that big of a deal," Amisty admitted. "It just sort of happened. I thought it had something to do with my mom since she had gold eyes."

"Listen, Am," Hermione took her hands. "This may sound stupid, but I really do mean well. When wolves eyes turn gold there's a meaning behind it. Gold, in wolf culture, means..." She bit her lip, "it means love."

Amisty blinked, "I mean... yeah. I really don't understand why that would be such a big deal. I love him, sure, but I love you and Harry and Ron and -- "

"No, Am," Hermione 's voice grew strained. "Wolves... well... they have mates, and so do Wolf Borns -- "

Amisty went pink.

"Not like that, not like that!" Hermione reassured, giving a nervous sort of laugh. "It's just... having a connection like that is dangerous, especially at this time and with a Malfoy of all people."

"Don't tell me you want me to break up with him," Amisty whispered.

"I don't," Hermione replied firmly. "You're so happy when you're with him, I just don't want you to get hurt because of this connection. We don't know how it works or how serious it is, and I'd hate for some out of control magic to lash out and get you caught up in it."

»»————- ♡ ————-««

"But why haven't you got Occlumency lessons anymore?" Hermione frowned, looking up from all four study schedules she was making.

"I've told you," Harry had been miserable since his last lesson. "Snape reckons I can carry on by myself now I've got the basics..."

"So you've stopped having funny dreams?" Hermione raised her eyebrow.