Hospital Visits: Year 5

"Draco," Blaise rapped his knuckles on his table in the privacy of the Slytherin common room. "Amisty River is in the hospital wing."

Draco didn't look up from his Charms work, biting into an apple, "Of course she is, she's training to be a Healer."

"That's not what I mean, Draco," Blaise replied quietly.

He slowly lifted his head, expression artistically blank. He barely more than breathed the words, "What happened?"

"I have no idea," Blaise took a seat just as Draco stood. "Don't bother trying to see her, they won't let anyone in. From what I've heard, she keeps coming in and out of consciousness."

"And no one knows what happened?" Draco asked.

"Fred Weasley does, so I'd assume Potter and them all do," Blaise clasped his hands. "She's been there since last night..."

"She had a detention last night. With Professor Umbridge," Draco's heart went still. "I was the one who told her."

"No detention sends someone to the hospital wing," Blaise protested, but he didn't sound sure of himself.

"She has a scar on the back of her hand... she said she got it from detention..." Draco replied, rubbing his face with his hands. "Oh, sweet Merlin."

"I told you that Inquisitorial Squad was nothing but trouble -- " Blaise began.

"It's not like I had much of a choice, Blaise," Draco spat. "Keeping up appearances and good relations with the Ministry, and all that."

"You don't have to listen to every single word your father says, Draco," He retorts.

"I'm not in the mood for a lecture, Blaise," He looks away, scowling. "Let me know if she gets well enough for visitors, would you?"

"She's your girlfriend since you've seemed to forgotten," Blaise replied sarcastically. "If you had a single shred of self-respect you would go and check yourself."

Draco bristled, "Don't tell me that -- "

"Are you more concerned about your own reputation," Blaise braced on the table, narrowing his eyes, "or the girl you're supposedly in love with."

"I'm not even supposed to be seen with her," Draco argued. "If I am, she's going to be trapped with those detentions for the rest of the year."

"Make something up," Blaise shot back. "You're at least somewhat intelligent, make an excuse."

"You're acting like you think I don't care about her," Draco hissed.

"I'm not the one sending messengers around trying to figure out if my girlfriend is okay!" Blaise jabbed him in the chest.

Draco glared at him furiously, "She knows that I care and that I'm keeping away to keep her safe."

"Are you sure about that?" Blaise asked. "Because if I were her, I'd have my moments of doubts."

»»————- ♡ ————-««

Draco bit into his apple with a crisp crunch. He smiled to himself as Amisty shifted in her sleep, murmuring something under her breath. There was a massive chocolate egg on her bedside table filled to the brim with caramel, and she had helped herself to it, apparently, judging by the tiny smear of chocolate on her chin. Amisty blinked back to consciousness, her head spinning and her vision still hazy.

"Hello, love," Draco whispered, smoothing down her hair gently. "Glad to see you're finally awake."

"Draco?" She gasped, startled. "You can't be here -- "