Royalty: Magic? AU

"Princess Pansy is staying for dinner, Am, just thought you should know," Hermione called through Amisty's cracked door as she rushed past. "I've set out your dress to dry already. You know how she is."

Amisty groaned, "Ugh, I can't stand her! I swear, she only pays any attention to this town because she loves to spite me!"

"Unfortunately, she's royalty, and that means she's allowed to do anything she wants," Hermione replied.

Amisty sighed again, running a brush haphazardly through her messy, black curls and stomping down the back steps to the garden. As Hermione said, her peach dress was hanging from the clothesline, ruffling slightly in the gentle breeze. Amisty pointedly turned her back to it, instead sinking to her knees and tugging up the radishes and potatoes from the soft, fertile soil. She took her time, dreading the moment she'd have to wash off and play nice with a princess who despised her.

"Amisty River!" Mrs. Weasley shouted from the fifth-floor window, clearly frustrated. "You need to be ready in ten minutes, the princess is arriving soon!"

"Sorry, Mrs. Weasley!" Amisty yelled back, lugging the wicker basket overflowing with vegetables into the shade. "I lost track of time."

"You did not," Harry teased, shouldering her lightly as he took the basket off of her hands and carried it off into the back.

"Shut up, Harry," She growled, but her mouth was twitching.

"I've drawn you a bath upstairs," Mrs. Weasley rushed past, frantically sweeping the floor. "Now, please, for the love of god, Amisty, be polite."

"I'll try," Amisty replied as sweetly as she could manage, trudging up the steps and to the bathroom after pulling down her dress. A wooden tub sat in the middle full of warm, clean water and foaming white bubbles, as well as homemade soap and a sponge. She shed her work clothes, scrubbing out the dirt from underneath her fingernails and the dust from her hair. When she stepped out the water was dark, and her skin was rubbed pink.

"Three minutes, Amisty!" Ginny knocked on the door.

"I know, I know!"

She wrung out her hair as best she could, detangling it with her fingers, and slipped on the dress. The soft, worn fabric was pale with age and a bit rough around the edges, but it would have to do. As soon as she opened the door, Hermione whirled her off into their shared bedroom, somehow managing to tie her up in a corset so quickly she didn't even have time to complain.

"'Mione..." She started.

"I know you hate it, but Mrs. Weasley insisted," Hermione explained, tying the leather cords into a neat little bow.

Amisty made a noncommittal noise, knowing there was no disagreeing at the Burrow when Mrs. Weasley made a decision.

"They're here!" Ron shouted up the steps.

"We have to hurry," Hermione grabbed Amisty's wrist, dragging her down the steps and into the kitchen just as the familiar clip-clopping of horses could be heard around the corner.

Everyone was dressed in their best clothes. Even Harry had attempted to tame his hair, but in all honesty it looked as messy as it always did. The new polish on his boots and green of his shirt made up for it, though. Ginny had braided delicate white flowers into the strands of her fiery red hair, and the twins were both wearing the only pair of unstained pants they owned. Ron had the ratty scarf he hated tied around his neck, and Hermione was wearing the elegant blue dress she always looked stunning in.