Winter Hearts: Year 5

Sunday morning, Hermione did indeed stomp through the snow-covered ground to Hagrid's cabin. Harry and Ron were trapped inside with their ever-growing mountain of homework. The twins and Ginny and almost everyone else was outside enjoying the winter sun. The Great Lake had frozen enough for it to be steady enough to skate on, the hills covered in enough snow that sledding was possible, and not to mention the snowball tournaments that were a staple when it came to the Gryffindors. Amisty, however, wasn't with them. Fred and George almost lost their minds at the announcement that she had other plans, but Ginny had dragged them away before they managed to convince Amisty to actually go and join them. George had seemed very convinced she was ditching them because of how she'd gotten hit with a snowball last year, a fact he wasn't keen on forgetting. She, in fact, had gotten a letter earlier that morning that was the reason of her denying the request.

Dear Amisty,

How would you feel about meeting me at the tree by the Great Lake at 10 0'clock? It's entirely up to you, but I'd like to go over everything that I've missed out on. As sappy as it sounds, I missed talking to you almost every day.

With love, Draco

It hadn't taken her very long to scribble back a reply, except for the fact that her first three attempts included spilling ink all over her writing and having to throw out the ruined parchment.

Dear Draco,

Sorry if this seems a bit rushed and messy, it's my fourth time trying to write this stupid reply out. I'd love to, I'll see you then!

Love, Amisty

So, after making sure the boys couldn't see her and Hermione were still occupied at Hagrid's, she knocked on the first-year dormitory door.

"Hazel?" She called softly. "Are you in there?"

"Coming!" The blonde replied brightly. The door swung open, revealing a slightly damp, slightly ruffled Hazel Lamark. "Hi, Amisty!"

"Hey, Hazel," Amisty smiled. "I'm going to need some help."

"What with?"

"I'm meeting with someone today."

Hazel's eyes glowed, "I know exactly what to do."

By the time Hazel was through, Amisty was certain she had been turned into a different person. She had taken a red skirt from Amisty's trunk and a handful of roses, telling Amisty to Transfigure them into fabric so she could stick them to the fabric. Then, she braided a section her hair into a sort of crown around her head, tucking pale yellow flowers in between as Amisty changed into a white blouse and tugged on her leather boots. The remaining curls of black hair framed her face and fell neatly across her back. Still messy, but now charmingly so. Draco's ring encircled her finger, his bracelet dangling from her wrist, and her mother's ear cuff glinting from behind her hair.

"We can't let him forget you're a Gryffindor," Hazel had grinned as she weaved a scarlet rose into the hair behind her ear.

Amisty stood in front of the mirror, taking in her appearance. The ring of gold around her pupil was rather obvious. Hazel was still circling her, fixing last minute details with bright brown eyes and a scrutinizing gaze.

"Brilliant," Hazel stepped back, her lips twitching up into a self-satisfied smirk. "I hope I guessed correctly in thinking this was a date?"

Amisty flushed, just now realizing that was exactly where her mind had gone after reading Draco's letter.