Hermione's Trick: Year 5

Hermione had started to cry against the back of Millicent Bulstrode, who immediately backed away in disgust.

"Well, well, well," Umbridge looked ecstatic. "Little Miss Question-All is going to give us some answers! Come on, then, girl, come on!"

Amisty couldn't believe it.

"Er -- my -- nee - no!" Ron shouted, barely getting the words out around his gag.

"I'm -- I'm sorry everyone. But -- I can't stand it -- " Hermione sobbed, covering her face with her hands.

"That's right, that's right, girl!" Umbridge grabbed Hermione by the shoulders and shoved her into one of the many chairs, looming over her like a vulture. "Now then... with whom was Potter communicating just now?"

"Well," Hermione spoke to her palms, shoulders shaking, "well, he was trying to speak to Professor Dumbledore..."

Amisty's eyes went wide, and she barely remembered to school her face and keep stiff in time to keep the lie running. Thankfully, Umbridge and the rest of her minions were all so focused on Hermione none of them had realized.

"Dumbledore?" Umbridge repeated hungrily. "You know where Dumbledore is, then?"

"Well... no!" Hermione replied shakily. "We've tried the Leaky Cauldron in Diagon Alley and the Three Broomsticks and even the Hog's Head -- "

"Idiot girl, Dumbledore won't be sitting in a pub when the whole Ministry's looking for him!" Umbridge shouted, her eyes gleaming with furious disappointment.

'But -- but we needed to tell him something important!" Hermione wailed, covering her face more with her hands.

"Yes?" Umbridge asked, leaning forward. "What was it you wanted to tell him?"

"We... we wanted to tell him it's r-ready!" Hermione choked out.

"What's ready?" Umbridge demanded, shaking Hermione roughly by the shoulders. "What's ready, girl?"

"The... the weapon," Hermione replied as if she were speaking with great pain.

"Weapon? Weapon?" Umbridge repeated, her eyes widening. "You have been developing some method of resistance? A weapon you should use against the Ministry? On Professor Dumbledore's orders, of course?"

"Y-y-yes," Hermione gasped. "But he had to leave before it was finished and n-n-now we've finished it for him, and we c-c-can't find him t-t-to tell him!"

"What kind of weapon is it?" Umbridge asked sharply, still gripping Hermione tightly.

"We don't r-r-really understand it," Hermione sniffed. "We j-j-just did what P-P-Professor Dumbledore told us t-t-to do..."

Umbridge straightened up, a triumphant expression on her face, "Lead me to the weapon."

"I'm not showing... them," Hermione hissed through her fingers, looking at the Slytherins through the gaps in her fingers.

"It is not for you to set conditions," Umbridge replied scathingly.

Hermione hiccuped and started sobbing back into her hands, "Fine, fine... let them see it, I hope they use it on you! In fact, I wish you'd invite loads and loads of people to come and see! Th-that would serve you right -- oh, I'd love it if the wh-whole school knew where it was, and how to u-use it, and then if you annoy any of them they'll be able to s-sort you out!"

Umbridge looked around quickly, her gaze resting on the expressions of the Slytherins surrounding her.

She paused, and when she spoke again her voice was in such faux kind voice Amisty almost snorted, "All right, dear, let's make it just you and me... and we'll take Potter too, shall we? Get up, now -- "