The Christmas Party: Year 6

It took several minutes for Amisty to get over herself. Jasmine looked stunning. She, in a surprising turn of events, had decided to go with a stunning emerald dress rather than yellow, like what Amisty had expected.

"Are you ready to go?" Jasmine asked softly, taking Amisty's arm gently. "It's in Slughorn's office, right?"

Amisty blushed, nodding soundlessly as she smoothed out her scarlet skirt, "Yeah. I heard a vampire was supposed to come."

"That'll be rather interesting," Jasmine said, sweeping up her skirt in an easy, fluid motion. "They're very dangerous creatures, aren't they?"

"Some are. . ." Amisty nodded. "I don't think Professor Slughorn would have invited him if he were actually dangerous."

As they rounded the corner, the cheerful sounds of laughter, music, and conversation steadily rose in volume. Amisty held open the door for Jasmine, giving a mock little bow to Jasmine's amusement. It seemed to have been larger than a usual teacher's office. All corners were covered in thick, colorful velvet, an elaborate lamp dangling from the ceiling with scarlet fairies fluttering inside. Music rang from a distant corner, a gentle, smoky haze hovering around a collection of warlocks discussing something that looked very important. House-elves navigated flawlessly through the party, offered platters of food with polite, squeaky voices.

"Hello, Miss River!" Professor Slughorn boomed as they squeezed in, waving with a broad grin. "And hello to you, too, Miss Arya!"

"Hi, Professor," Amisty smiled.

"I'd like you to meet Healer Augustus Pye," He pulled the young Healer forward, missing the familiarity between the two already. "He's St. Mungo's newest Healer. An old student of mine, quite the star pupil."

"This is the budding Healer you were raving about?" Augustus asked, eyes sparkling.

"Yes!" Slughorn threw an arm around her shoulders. "She's running up on your coattails, Augustus!"

"Oh, I'm certain of it," He said. "She's the same girl who came up with that adapted Blood-Replenishing potion."

Slughorn's eyes widened, "I wasn't made aware of that!"

"Yes," Augustus winked at her. "I hope you don't mind, Miss River, I adjusted your ideas a bit for my final thesis. You're credited, of course."

Her heart swelled, barely more than breathing the word, "Really?"

"Of course," He nodded. "Full marks, thanks to you."

Slughorn stood in shocked silence, "Now, that is quite an achievement - "

"Pardon me, Professor Slughorn, but may I borrow Amisty for a moment or two?" Hermione popped up at her shoulder, looking vaguely disheveled.

"Of course, my dear," Slughorn waved them off. "Augustus and I have much to discuss."

Hermione seized Amisty's hand, dragging her behind one of the thick curtains. Jasmine was quick to follow, staying politely quiet in the chaos that was Professor Slughorn.

"I'm so sorry, Jasmine, I just need to get away from Cormac for a few minutes," Hermione sighed. "I don't think I've even heard Harry talk about Quidditch this much."

Jasmine chuckled, "Yes, boys do seem to have quite the obsession with it."

"I've never gotten the chance to properly meet you, Jasmine," Hermione smiled, extending her hand. "Other than in Ancient Runes, but there was never much time in that class to talk otherwise."

"It's nice to meet you at last," Jasmine replied, shaking her hand. "Amisty always says the nicest things about you."

"I could say the same," Hermione replied, with a very unsubtle sly grin directed to the girl.