Snake Bite: Year 5

Amisty and Hermione were waiting down in the Gryffindor common room for Harry and Ron to come down when Professor McGonagall climbed through the portrait hole.

"Miss Granger, Miss River," She nodded, her mouth pressed in a rather thin line. "Follow me. The Headmaster would like to speak with you."

The two of them traded alarmed expressions, but they were quick to follow after her.

"Amisty!" Lee Jordan called as he walked past them, grinning. "Have you seen Fred and George?"

"I haven't, sorry," Amisty shook her head.

"Huh," Lee frowned, ruffling his hair. "They weren't in the dormitory when I woke up. Well, have a good holiday!"

"You too, Lee," She forced a smile, squashing down her nerves.

Professor McGonagall continued without pause, stopping in front of a stone gargoyle, "Fizzing Whizbee."

Amisty barely fought down a flinch in time as the gargoyle came to life and jumped to the side, leaving the wall to split open and reveal a spiral staircase leading up to what Amisty assumed was the Headmaster's office. They headed up, Amisty's stomach sinking lower and lower in her stomach.

"Come in, Professor," Professor Dumbledore called through the door before Professor McGonagall even raised her hand to the griffin knocker.

The door opened and the three of them stepped inside to find Professor Dumbledore sitting behind his desk, conversing quietly with the surrounding portraits of what looked like previous Hogwarts Headmasters.

"Good morning, Amisty, good morning Hermione," Professor Dumbledore watched them carefully over the top of his half moon spectacles. "I suppose you're wondering why I called you both here."

"Yes, Professor," Hermione nodded, her fingers twisted together nervously.

"It seems that Harry has had a nightmare, one that Arthur Weasley has been attacked by a snake."

Amisty gasped, "Is Mr. Weasley alright?"

"Thanks to Harry, he was able to arrive at St. Mungo's in enough time that the Healers were able to get him stable. According to Dilys," he nodded at the portrait of a pretty elderly witch with long, silver ringlets who gave Amisty small smile, "the Weasleys' and Harry visited him last night and he was doing very well, other than the wound reopening without bandages.

"Now, I know the two of you were planning on spending the holidays with your parents -- "

"No," Amisty broke in, wincing immediately. "I'm sorry, Professor, but I'd prefer to be with the Weasleys' and Harry with Mr. Weasley in the hospital. I'm sure my dad will understand..."

Hermione nodded fervently beside her.

Dumbledore smiled slightly, "I had thought so. The Knight Bus is arranged to pick you both up and take you to Grimmauld Place. The Weasleys have already arrived there and -- "

But he was cut off at the loud, harsh bang of the metal knocker against the door.

"That would be Professor Umbridge," Dumbledore remarked quietly. "Let her in, Minerva."

"Albus, I'm not certain that -- " Professor McGonagall began, her green gaze flickering to where Amisty was standing, now very stoic and still.

"Let her in," Dumbledore repeated.

Professor McGonagall frowned deeply but complied, waving her wand at the door. It swung open, revealing a very peeved looking, very pink in the face, Professor Umbridge.