Chapter 22 - A Dagger Hidden Within the Darkness and One's Heart

The Imperial Doctor's hostile face was full of animosity as he snarled at Feng Yao.

"You! I should have known that a dirty orphan like you would conspire with that snake Emperor!"

The guards holding him looked momentarily surprised at his sudden burst of unexpected strength. But Feng Yao acted like she didn't hear his words as she tilted her head and continued smiling.

"It's good to see you too, old man. Or would you prefer to be called your original title...General Yu from the Qin Kingdom?"

The doctor's aged eyes harshly narrowed at her. There was a sudden sharp glint in them that held traces of a once all-powerful young man. 

"You knew this entire time?" He spat at her feet through his bloody teeth. Feng Yao didn't even blink as his blood stained her shoes. 

"Of course!" He laughed. "Once a traitor, always a traitor."

His arm suddenly snaked out of the guard's grip and shot out to grab Feng Yao's robes. 

"I hate you," he hissed. "It's because of you and your country that the Great War was started! It's because of you that I was forced to fight and leave my family! It's because of you that they were falsely accused of treason and executed when I wasn't there to protect them!"

His grip around her leg tightened into a death grip. The guards eventually had to physically yank him away from her, but the old man didn't even seem to be fazed at being forcibly shoved back on the ground. 

"Ever since I figured out who you were eight years ago, I hated myself for even having to interact with you! Do you want to know why I forced myself to so be nice to you?" A wild laugh escaped through his lips and echoed in the silent courtyard. Feng Yao watched silently as his blood-shot eyes narrowed triumphantly at her.

"It's because I've already sold you off to someone in a different kingdom! Someone who was willing to pay a million gold coins as long as I followed his condition and kept you safe until you turned 20!"

No one noticed that way that Feng Yao had slightly stiffened. Everyone's attention was on the imperial doctor who was still thrashing around. His voice was turning hoarse, but he continued screaming at her as if it was the only way to soothe his burning soul.  

"Hahaha! What an idiot! An utter fool!! Who would want to pay that much for a stupid princess of the fallen Yuan Kingdom?"

Feng Yao suddenly stepped forward. Her smile was still pasted onto her face, but her eyes had taken on a strange look.

"Why yes, I agree. Who would want to pay that much for a stupid princess from the Yuan Kingdom?" 

Her smile abruptly disappeared and was replaced by a chilling stare. "But you're wrong about one thing. I'm not their princess." 

She bent down towards his ears. He, who had been a fearless general for over half of his life, still could not hold back the chill that ran down his back at her icy whisper.

"I'm even more powerful than that."

At that moment, the sharp sound of someone's slow clapping pierced through the thick air. Immediately, all the surrounding guards simultaneously bent down on their knees.

"Greetings to His Majesty!"

Long Yi calmly walked out of the shadows and into the moonlight as he held his hand up to stop their welcome. The golden robes he had on were impeccable and almost seemed to be glowing underneath the flickering lanterns. It was clear to anyone watching that he, of course, had not been really poisoned.