Chapter 34 - A Puzzle Without Its Pieces Are Unsolvable

Bai Qing stared blankly as her fingers grasped the handle of the teapot and poured the liquid inside into a small white cup. But instead of proudly grinning at the perfect color of the tea that had come out, she instead sighed.

Suddenly, a familiar voice called out from the other side of the courtyard.

"Qing Qing~Qing Qing~ Oh where have you gone~"

Bai Qing blinked before heavily sighing again. That sing-songy voice could only belong to the Young Miss. No one else that she'd ever met had ever sounded so carefree.

It had only been three days since the Young Miss had arrived that night, but Bai Qing already felt like she had aged three years. 

To say that the Young Miss was unique was....an understatement. It was as if that charming woman from that first time they'd met was now nowhere to be found. And instead, in her place was...

How did the Young Miss describe herself again?

A...lonely potato?

Bai Qing had originally been so excited to finally have something else to do besides repetitively sweeping the white paths and sneaking off to eat in the kitchen. Especially since she was the only servant in the Winter Garden, the idea of having a person to serve seemed so exciting.

Another sigh escaped her mouth. She could still remember the exact moment that her hopes and dreams were brutally crushed.

That first morning after the Young Miss' arrival, she had knocked lightly on the door to Feng Yao's room, making sure to call out in her calmest voice possible.

"Young Miss? Are you awake yet? I've come to change your bandages."

At that time, Bai Qing had been so proud of herself for acting like the perfect maid. Foolishly, she had even imagined getting to brag about being able to serve the amazing new mistress to the other servant girls during their usual morning sessions of washing clothes in the river. 

Usually, the other maids were the ones who got to tease and bully her. But this time, Bai Qing just knew that she'd be able to brag in their faces about being trusted enough by their Young Master to get to take care of the young woman he brought home. 

She had waited eagerly in front of the Young Miss' door with her face morphed into a false sense of calm until she had finally heard a soft and graceful voice answer from inside.

"Yes, please come in."

Ahhh, as expected! Even her words sounds so refined!

Hearing Feng Yao's voice, Bai Qing grew even more excited. This was her chance to finally have someone to talk to. Someone who was so awe-inspiring that even just her aura would help stop the other maids in the estate from mocking Bai Qing.

"Then please excuse my intrusion..." 

Her fingers had cautiously pushed against the old wooden door, trying to minimize the amount of squeak that she knew would sound out. 

She hadn't wanted to disturb the Young Miss. Bai Qing was sure that she was probably still resting in bed like how many other important young misses did.

Sigh...it will be such an honor to see the sight of a beauty so early in the morning~ 

I wonder if she's an intellectual young miss? Maybe she's already reading one of the books that I left in the room for her? 

Oh! Or maybe she's one of those young misses that are adorably half-asleep in the morning?

Bai Qing had giggled thinking about it. But as soon as the door fully swung open, all of her thoughts came to a startling halt.