Chapter 42 - A Fateful Encounter in a Small City

Quick Recap (spoilers if you haven't read chapters 1-41!):

Feng Yao has escaped from the Wei Kingdom after bringing disaster upon their Emperor, Long Yi. After Ru Qiang brings her to the Zheng Kingdom and hides her in the main Jun Estate, it's revealed that Ru Qiang was the the current Zheng Emperor's most loyal guard and friend until something happened during the Great War. Currently, he is hated by many citizens after he becomes a suspect for the murder of the imperial nephew, but he doesn't seem too concerned. 

One of Ru Qiang's many assassins suddenly appear and attempt to kill him, but is unable to succeed. However, because of the mystery assassin's strange personality and obsession with his sword that Feng Yao stole, both Feng Yao and Ru Qiang have doubts about his true identity. Just before Feng Yao is about to leave the city, she also has a run-in with a mysteriously veiled young master. But although his name is never spoken out loud, Feng Yao has a feeling that she knows who this person could be...

Now, enjoy the chapter!

*   *   *   *   *

As Feng Yao walked back towards the estate, she noticed Bai Qing waiting for her at the entrance. Seeing her finally return, Bai Qing quickly went over towards her, reminding Feng Yao of a little puppy. 

"Young Miss, you're back! Did you already find what you were missing?"

Feng Yao almost forgot the lie that she had came up with on the spot earlier. Luckily, she remembered in time and nodded as her usual grin appeared on her lips.

"Yep! I found it along the path heading back towards the city, so luckily I didn't need to go all the way back."

The two of them walked into the estate, going past the two stationed guards that were silently standing on either side of the gate. 

Casually, Feng Yao glanced around, but she didn't see the figure of a certain person.

"Is your Young Master around?"

Bai Qing shook her head. "I heard from the other maids this morning that the Young Master returned to his study last night and hasn't come out since."

"...He's already left, huh?"

Bai Qing thought that she heard Feng Yao murmur something, but before she could ask, Feng Yao had already let out a soft laugh.

"Is that so? That's a pity then. I guess I won't be able to say goodbye." 

They reached the Winter Garden and Bai Qing followed Feng Yao inside who had already begun packing up the last of her things. When Bai Qing realized what Feng Yao was currently folding, a confused expression appeared on her face.

"Ah? Young Miss, you're packing that set of clothing?"

Feng Yao looked down at the ragged and torn cloth robe in her hands that Bai Qing was staring at strangely. 

They were the original clothes that Feng Yao had worn when she had escaped Long Yi's palace back in the Wei Kingdom. Although they were now almost completely transformed into tattered strips of cloth, they still were quite useful.

A chuckle escaped Feng Yao's lips. 

"You never know when you'll need to dress up."

Bai Qing didn't seem to understand, but she didn't say anything else after seeing Feng Yao's secretive smile. 

As they walked back down the winding paths towards the entrance, Bai Qing couldn't help but worriedly ramble on.

"Young Miss, take care not to scare too many people out there. Don't think that I haven't noticed how you like to suddenly disappear when I look away! If anyone else witnesses your disappearing acts, they might even try to exorcise you like a ghost!"