Chapter 39 - A Faint Flicker of the Past

The two men in front of Feng Yao continued talking, oblivious to the way that her eyes were lowered in thought.

"Although His Majesty and that damned Jun Clan's Young Master had a previous friendship, there's no excuse for what he's done. I don't care if he's the previous head of the imperial guards or if he had a friendship with the Emperor. The fact is that he was definitely the one that committed the crime!"

Gu Ting slammed his fist in anger against the table making the teacups on top rattle wildly. Several of the other customers sitting nearby glanced over but quickly looked away after noticing the scary glint in Gu Ting's eyes.

Bei Yu seemed quite used to his commander's anger and simply sighed before picking up the teacups that had fallen over. Luckily, they were all empty.

At this moment, a calm voice suddenly sounded out in front of them. Gu Ting and Bei Yu paused as they looked over at Feng Yao who was slowly tapping her fingers against the table.

"But there's no evidence." 

Her fingers abruptly stopped as she lifted her head to stare at them. The look in her eyes were astonishingly sharp as if she could see straight into their thoughts. 

"Am I correct?"

Her unusually bright eyes combined with her expressionless face surrounded her in an aura that shocked their senses into alertness.

"I--ah...Y-yes, that's correct." 

For the first time today, Gu Ting stumbled over his words. As he looked over at this young man in front of him, he couldn't help but stare in surprise.

Even Bei Yu felt a small shiver go down his spine from the sudden intimidating air coming from this person. Narrowing his eyes, Bei Yu stared closer at this young man sitting in front of them. 

He was dressed simply in a plain outfit with no accessories that could hint at his status, yet his posture and bearing was exactly that of a nobleman. Although his looks were definitely much more feminine than masculine, it seemed to work in his favor and give him the unique air of a beautiful scholar.

Glancing down, Bei Yu took notice of this Young Master's pale wrist and delicate fingers that was resting lightly against the table. If Bei Yu hadn't noticed the way that this man's body lacked any hints of feminine curves underneath his robes, he would have thought that this man sitting calmly in front of him was actually a female.

Perhaps sensing his probing gaze, the young man's eyes flickered from Gu Ting over towards Bei Yu with an unreadable expression.

Bei Yu could only meet his steady gaze as feelings of awe and admiration slowly filled inside of his heart. It was obvious that this Young Master was much younger than both him and Gu Ting, but somehow the air that surrounded him was one that could make both him and his commander feel wary.

As he continued sizing up Feng Yao, Feng Yao also took the time to study him. Earlier, she had felt his burning gaze and wondered if he'd seen through her male disguise. 

But going based off of the faint look of awe in his eyes, it seems that that wasn't the case. It seemed that it had been a good decision after all to use padding underneath her robes to mask her body shape.

Feng Yao turned back to look at Gu Ting who was similarly studying her with narrowed eyes. She suddenly felt that it was funny.

If they both knew that she was a women, would they still be looking at her in the same way?

A light chuckle escaped her lips, immediately dispelling the cold aura around her. Before Gu Ting or Bei Yu could react, Feng Yao had already stood up and bowed respectfully towards them.