Chapter 45 - The Wandering Village

After obtaining the girl's agreement, Feng Yao quickly disappeared from sight. No one had any idea where she had gone off to.

If it wasn't for the way that Mr. Uncle would calmly answer back when asked about where she was, the others would have been worried that she was kidnapped. But since he would always reply with a simple, "Don't worry, she'll be back", they gradually stopped asking.

By now, an entire day and night had almost already passed. The little girl, who was now sleeping next to her brother, had her hands wrapped tightly around his. 

Every once in a while, a small frown would appear on her face as if she was dreaming of unpleasant things, but once she felt the warmth of the boy next to her, her childish features would always smooth back out.

Next to the doorway, the two guards were still sprawled out in a peaceful sleep. With an occasional kick or an unconscious shove to the other, the two of them seemed as if they were bickering even in their dreams.

Seeing this, Mr. Uncle sighed before throwing a blanket onto their two figures. They simply shifted once, muttering in their sleep about a sudden cold chill, before settling back down against the wall. 

In the early morning darkness, Mr. Uncle silently walked out of the house.

Just like the bamboo forest around him, his footsteps made no sound. There was not even the slightest bit of a breeze disturbing the few fallen leaves on the ground as he calmly walked along the hidden path towards the door that was perfectly obscured in the shadows.

As he stood in front of it, his fingers swiftly moved and began to accurately press multiple points on the hard wood. To a simple bystander, it would have looked as if he did nothing besides lightly brushing his fingertips against the material. 

However, to any other highly skilled martial artist, they would have been completely in shock at seeing the amount of internal force that abruptly exploded from his fingertips each time they made contact with the wood. With this strange action, the mechanism immediately was activated and the door smoothly opened to allow him to walk in. 

As it shut behind him, he could hear a few things clinking together in the next room over. 

Following the noise, he soon appeared in his hidden medicine room, watching Feng Yao as she sat on the floor with hundreds of different herbal bowls surrounding her with each one containing a completely different concoction.

It was already considered amazing if you could memorize the countless different recipes to create herbal medicine. However, what Feng Yao was doing truly seemed as if it was on a whole different level.

Not only was she using these countless sets of herbal refining methods, but she had changed each one and found ways to combine multiple different recipes into neutralizing or extracting certain hidden medical properties. Furthermore, she was able to do variations of this to every single bowl while also being able to keep track of what she did.

Mr. Uncle glanced at her face and saw dark shadows underneath her eyes, indicating that she'd been working like this nonstop for the entire day and night. However, it was as if she couldn't feel any exhaustion.

Her lowered eyes continuously flickered sharply from bowl to bowl as her lips moved incessantly, muttering to herself underneath her breath.

"Bowl 3 is done mixing and will be completely settled soon. The extracted powder that fell to the bottom should be saturated enough to mix into bowl 18. Bowl 65 has also been sitting for 4 minutes after being boiled, but it still hasn't cooled into a paste. I'll need to see if it can still be mixed into bowl 139. If not, I'll retry with bowl 24, 25, and 27. Ah, bowl 72 and 73 have finally turned red. It should be possible to extract its poison using bowl 118..."