Chapter 46 - Secrets Buried Deeply in the Night

Feng Yao slowly let out a breath.

Haaa...luck doesn't seem to be on my side today, huh?

Her fingers tightened around her dagger as she glanced around. Countless figures enshrouded in the darkness stared intensely at her. Only their bright eyes that shined from the fading sunlight were visible in the shadows.

The angry roars of the creature from before were still loudly echoing through the air as it stumbled around and crashed into the walls, but no one paid it any attention, including Feng Yao. 

How could she when she was already in a situation like this?

...Now how am I going to get out of this mess?

At that moment, a rough voice sounded out from her left, fiercely spitting out words as if they were condemning her. 

"It's another disgusting outsider. Who do they think they are to come in and destroy our beautiful village?"

Feng Yao was slightly stunned.

They've still retained their intelligence?

Another voice suddenly interrupted from the other side. This time it was a female voice, although it was much more harsh and full of malicious hate.

"Hah! Doesn't matter as long as we skin and gut them all."

The woman speaking took a small step out of the shadows, her bloodshot eyes still staring unnervingly bright at Feng Yao. It was as if her twitching fingers could already imagine the sensation of hot blood gushing through her fingers as she sliced open Feng Yao's neck.

Feng Yao, however, did not listen to her words. Instead, her attention was completely focused on the woman's look.

Just like the creature that she had fought earlier, this woman's eyes were an eerie shade of light gray, so light that they almost looked white when compared against the redness surrounding them.

However, that was where the similarities ended. 

Her appearance looked almost the exact same as any other young girl you'd find in the kingdom. And her face, although extremely pale, had features that were considered quite pretty. 

If it wasn't for her tattered and filthy clothing that was permanently stained in blood along with her wild and messy black hair, she could have easily passed as a normal citizen. 

Seeing the woman move out of the shadows, the other person also stepped out while growling a vicious threat.

"Experiment 23! You just try and take this kill away from me again! You dare to go against me now that Master isn't here?!"

This time it was a younger man. Hundreds of scars covered his body from his face down to his legs. It was to the point that it was almost impossible to see even the slightest outline of what he had looked like before the hideous maiming.

And just like the woman, the tattered clothing covering his body had long been coated in thick layers of dried blood, but it was as if he didn't even notice.

Their master? That man has left?

The woman's face distorted as her lips twisted upwards into an ugly sneer.

"You can't measure up to me, Experiment 31. Master clearly made me stronger than you! And it was clearly my kill last time! If it wasn't for you interfering, Experiment 7 wouldn't have snatched the prey!"

"Now, now. Let's all play nice!" 

An innocent-sounding giggle appeared, just as another young woman stepped into the light. Her face that had yet to fully mature held a bright grin, showcasing sharp little canines that looked as though they were stained red.