Chapter 37 - For Foodies Like Us

Humming a happy tune, Feng Yao walked back down the winding corridors in search of Li Yue.

Hm? He should be around here somewhere...

She turned another corner, walking past the lit lanterns swaying lightly from the edges of the overhead. A soft golden light was cast upon her figure as she strolled past each one creating an illusion of dusk despite the moon already being high in the sky. 

Feng Yao continued walking, keeping an eye out for any sight for Ru Qiang's guard, but so far, there was no sign of him. In fact, there were no signs of anyone else around. 

Sigh...has everyone already gone to sleep? 

The corners of her lips were pointed down in a frown, but she continued walking. As she turned the corner, her entire body suddenly felt like it had run face-first into a wall.

"Ah?" She almost tumbled backwards at the abrupt force against her body when she felt a warm hand grab her by the arm and pull her back upright.

"Huh? Young Miss? What are you doing here?"

Hearing the familiar voice, Feng Yao finally looked up and realized that the person she had bumped into was exactly the man she was looking for.

"Li Yue! Great! I was just looking for you!"

She beamed at him, and he immediately got suspicious. He had been around her long enough to know that her cheerful smiles often had plans hidden behind them that were strong enough to demolish entire cities. 

Along with his Young Master's sanity.

Secretly, he thought that this young woman in front of him was incredible. Both for being able to single-handedly bring chaos to the Wei Kingdom and for being able to force his Young Master to show so many new expressions with her absurd antics.

Of course, he enjoyed the second one a lot more than the first, but if his Young Master ever heard him say that, Li Yue was sure that he'd probably be immediately decapitated by his Young Master's death glare. Then, he'd really become the same as a dead chicken!

He shivered at his wandering thoughts. They were too scary. It was definitely better to stay silent and enjoy his master's sufferings from a distance.

Feng Yao was oblivious to his strange thoughts and continued excitedly speaking.

"Do you have time to show me to the kitchen? I just remembered a recipe that I once read in a book, and my fingers have been itching to try it out!"

She wiggled her fingers in front of his confused face to emphasize her words.

"See?" She added with a grave expression. "They're very impatient. And when that happens, scary things begin to occur. Oooo, scary~"

She even added in her own spooky sound effects to prove her point.

Li Yue, on the other hand, seemed completely dumbfounded. How was he supposed to respond? Join in and make spooky sound effects with her?

With a slight cough, he finally said, "Of course I wouldn't mind showing you to the kitchen. But will you require any assistance? I can go and wake the cook if you need some help?"

"Nope, I just need you to help me stir the pot while I chop up some things." She blinked innocently at him, putting away her wiggling fingers. 

Feng Yao already knew the way to the kitchen, but she still needed him to come so that he'd deliver the soup to Ru Qiang when she was done. She had a few more things that she needed to do tonight before returning to the Winter Garden.