Chapter 47 - A Race Against Time

Feng Yao couldn't help but blink in shock. Countless words ran through her mind, but there was no denying the sight in front of her eyes.

The little boy continued to blankly stare, his grey eyes like two watery splatters of diluted ink that held no ripples of emotion. In the faint lighting, his skin underneath his thin dirty clothing looked incredibly pale just like blank paper. It was as if he'd never been underneath the sun before.

"You..."

Suddenly, the smell of something burning entered her nose, making Feng Yao snap back to reality. The few wisps of smoke that had started from the knocked-over lantern had already slowly evolved into a small fire.

With no time to waste, she reached out and gently, but firmly, picked up the boy before tucking his against her chest. As she did, the white tendrils of his long hair fluttered in the air like strands of smoke before falling and resting gently on her arms.

"Don't be afraid," Feng Yao whispered. "I won't hurt you."

He didn't struggle, easily letting her settle him against her body while his thin arms automatically reached out to hold onto her shoulders. His touch was incredibly light, almost as if he expected to be thrown away by her at any second. If she hadn't been looking, she wouldn't have even felt his small fingers clutching at her clothing.

A pang of sadness made her entire chest hurt, and Feng Yao wordlessly tightened her hold on him. Like before, however, he made no response to her actions.

Quickly bringing the both of them out from between the wall and the bed, she hurriedly made her way back towards the makeshift wooden stairs on the other side of the dark room.

With the boy in her arms, she only had one hand free to help her climb back up. But it was no trouble at all.

He's so light. It's like carrying a little kitten.

His body was incredibly small too. Just by slightly tucking his legs in, his bony frame could be entirely hidden by Feng Yao's torso. She could only imagine how he'd manage to survive up until now.

"We're going up. Hold on tight."

She quietly spoke to him as she began to climb up, taking care not to let him bump onto the wall with each step. It would have been much easier if she had carried him on her back, but she didn't dare do that in case his weak body was suddenly unable to hold on.

The rotten smell of burning flesh slowly became more and more pungent, swirling around them along with the smoke as they got higher and higher. It made breathing slightly difficult, and Feng Yao frowned.

"Be careful of the smoke."

She whispered to the boy, but there was no indication that he had heard her.

...Can he understand me?

Taking a quick glance down at the motionless boy in her arms, she noticed that his eyes were looking silently over her shoulder at the ground below them.

Feng Yao went quiet, remembering what bloody scene laid behind them.

The body of the boy's mother was still laying in a pool of red. Although her clothing was already beginning to catch on fire, the expression on her face was forever fixed with a haunting and maniacal laugh.

Even for her, it was a terrible sight to witness. For such a young child forced to witness this scene of his mother, what would he be thinking right now?

"...Close your eyes. Don't look."

The boy was still after hearing her soft voice. But after a moment, Feng Yao finally saw him slowly lower his head, letting his eyes drift down back towards her shoulder.