29- Confession

I let out a loud sigh. Finally, freedom. We're currently taking a walk on a park and for me now, after that situation on the movies, this park is truly heaven. Okay, it slightly smells like dog poop. But at least there was no making out couples. I looked around and saw that we were the only one on the park. I shivered as the cold wind hit my bare skin. My eyes suddenly caught a movement on the tree part. Was that a ghost?

I walked closely towards Mia who seem to be in deep thought because she was staring at her feet--a thing she does when she's thinking. Okay, you think I am afraid but the truth is I am not. I just wanted to protect Mia if anything happens. Okay? Get it?

I tried to be calm as I hugged myself. Okay, Ken. There's no such things as ghosts.

Suddenly, the swing moved. I stared at it as it made a cringing sound caused by the friction between the metal and rust. Ken, it was because of the wind. Okay? Nothing to worry abo----

"Ken"

I let out a startled scream and almost fell on the ground.

"Ken, are you okay?"

I looked at Mia and saw her worried eyes. And here I thought she was a ghost.

"Y-Yes" I lied. Because right now, I'm pretty shaken up. Everyone knows that I'm afraid of ghosts.

"I wanted to tell you something" Mia almost whispered. I looked at her and saw that she was hugging herself and shifting from one foot to another.
"What is it?" I asks cocking my head to the side.

"I l-like y-you" She blurted out stumbling on the words.

"What?" I asked incredulously as my eyes widened in surprise.

"I s-said I like you" she says, this time a little more clearly.

I was speechless. It was the first time somebody confesses that she likes me. My hand went to my forehead unconciously.

"Seriously?" I asked again. Maybe I'm just hearing things right?

"Yes" she confirms with a nod.
What the serious fudge.

"Are you angry?" Mia suddenly asks breaking me out of my trance.

"N-No! Why would I be angry? I'm just a little surprised, that's all" I explained hastily. I can already feel my cheeks heating up. I seriously need cookies right now.

"Oh, o-okay" she says biting her lips.

"H-How? Why?" I can't help but ask. I know that I'm not that good looking and I've known her eversince we're kids but I didn't saw that she has feelings for me.

She stared at me then for the first time in this moment, she smiled.

"Eversince we were kids, I was new here and some kids bullied me, you were there to save me" she started. My brain flashes a quick memory of that time. Yeah, I did save her but it also earned me a broken nose and a black eye. But it was still worth it.

"We were best friends eversince that day and that was also the day that I knew that you were the prince in my life and I was the princess---yeah, silly me" she chuckled. "As we grew up, my feelings also grew. Did you know that everytime you give me a flower randomly I always keep it? It's all in my diary" she says staring at me.

"You were the reason I was always at the top of my class because I wanted to do my best...to be perfect in your eyes" she added still smiling at me. While I was just staring at her, my mouth slightly hanging open.

"I really don't know where all of this courage came from but I'm glad I finally said it after all this years" she says as she smiles looking at me. I definitely looked like a statue now, frozen on my spot. Mia just stared at me hoping for me to say a thing. I can't even seem to utter a word and the truth is, I'm afraid to.

Because, I know, deep in my heart that....I don't have that kind of feelings for her. Yes, I love her but just as a friend and nothing more. And I know that even if I force myself to, I can't. But, I don't want to hurt her feelings.

What will I do?

I took a deep breath and focused. Ken, you have to say the truth. Because if you don't both of you will only hurt yourselves. The truth will set us free.

I scratched the back of my neck and looked at her with pain.

"Mia, the truth is----

Mia placed her finger on my lips silencing me. I looked at her with bewilderment.

"I know, Ken. I know" she says as she looks at me with sad eyes. But the most painful part was that she was still smiling. I can already feel how hurt she is.

"I know that you don't like me like I do. I already realized that from all these years. That no matter how hard I try, you will never look my way...that you will never notice me. I had already accepted that. I just wanted to let you know that before I leave" she continued letting her hand fall on her side.

"M-Mia---

She interrupted me by closing our distance and giving me a tight hug.

"Please don't talk anymore and let me hug you for the very last time because tomorrow I'll be going to the Philippines for good" Mia whispers in my ear. I did what I was told and stayed still on my spot. I felt something warm and wet on my shoulder and I knew she was crying. I wanted to punch myself for making her cry.

She let me go and faced me.

"You don't have to go" I said almost pleadingly. She gave me a small smile.

"I have to. I want to have a fresh start after all of this" she explains softly, the kindness still in her words.

"But the prom is already near, I mean, you don-

"Please, Ken. Don't make this so hard for me" she pleads looking at me with pained eyes. I stayed silent just staring at her.

"You made me so happy all these years Ken. Good luck in your life" she says looking at the ground her hair covering her face. Something fell on the ground below her making small wet patches. She was crying. I reached for her.

"Goodbye" Mia says as she turned on her heels and walked away. I froze on my spot. She really left. I let my hand fall on my side as I watch her figure going farther and then out of my sight.

"Goodbye"

I whispered as I looked up at the starless sky.

**************************************

😲