- vi -

You've successfully convinced your parents that Alec was merely a friend of yours & nothing more, considering the incident that they met his arm around your shoulder. Your own mother nearly invited him inside for dinner, but luckily, he stated that he had errands to run and left rather immediately.

"Mom-!" you whined, "..why do I have to bring food next door?"

She only grinned, acting rather innocently, "Why, they've only moved in of course! It'd be rude to make them feel less welcome."

"But why /me/!? C'mon, why not ask Elliot to do it for me. I promise I'll sleep early..?"

Her wicked grin widened, "I'll increase your allowance, and buy you that new book you've always wanted if you take them."

With a huff of annoyance, you trudged to the door without another word. Your mother knew how much of a bookworm you were, and she was wise enough to use that as an advantage so she could order you around.

Carrying the said food on your arms, you began walking towards the new neighbor's home. It had been abandoned until now, and as far as you can say, they did a fantastic job in redecorating it. The rusty grass that was once covered in waste and trash was cleaned and replaced with grass. The little house that looked old and ancient now appeared lively and colorful. You were so mesmerized by its appearance, you didn't notice someone calling you. Not to mention, they were merely 1 feet away.

"Dearest, are you alright?" You finally snapped to reality, a pair of hands shaking your shoulders lightly. You took in her appearance.

She was merely an old, yet beautiful, woman, who looked about in her 70's. Unlike your grandmother, as you'd recall before she moved away, she had short brown locks, not a gray hair in sight, evident that she occasionally dyes her hair. Her smile was sincere, and her eyes were glistening with excitement. You grinned as well, extending out your arms to hand the food your mother had prepared to the smiling old lady.

"We just wanted to welcome your stay with a delicious treat. Please enjoy it!" You put on the brightest smile you could muster, but she only laughed, taking the food in her hold before ruffling your hair.

"No need for another one of those fake smiles. I understand you were force here by your mother."

...Say what?

Your eyes widened in surprise, before you shyly rubbed the back of your neck. It wasn't that you didn't want to welcome them, well, you just felt kinda lazy in doing so. Luckily, she only waved off the incident, and you instantly knew you were going to be great friends with her, despite her age.

"I-I'm sorry... I just-" You were cut off.

"Oh dear, it's no big deal. I understand. Actually, I met someone who had the exact same situation as yourself," she paused, looking up as if trying to recall the memory, "..he did seemed a bit rude."

You blinked, analyzing the situation. You had a strange feeling you knew exactly who this mystery person was, and unfortunately, you weren't going to leave with unanswered questions. 'Don't tell me he lives here too!?'

"Um, how did he look?"

"Ah, he gave off a slight bad impression. Tattoos mostly on his wrists, but who knows if he has any on his body. Eyeliner as black as his soul, and piercings every- oh dear, he frightened me a bit."

You knew it. It was definitely the infamous Robbie Kay from school. Your fists clenched in frustration, but they suddenly softened when a fragile hand landed on your knuckles as if soothing them down.

She tilted her head, "Y'know dear, he may have frightened me, but deep down I know that boy can mean something good. He just needs someone to change him."

Was she suggesting yourself?

"Where did he run off to?"

"Ah! He's actually next door. My house is between yours and his own."

Half choking on your tongue, you inhaled a deep breath as if trying to calm yourself down. How long has he been living so nearby?! More importantly, why haven't you noticed him.

"Anyways deary, thank you for the wonderful present. I would love for you to stop by one day if you aren't too busy," she smiled weakly, and you returned it along with a nod.

"Yes, of course! Maybe if I need some piece and quiet it'll be helpful. Well, I must get going. My mother might throw a fit. Nice meeting you Mrs...?"

"Mrs. Watson, darling. It was very nice meeting you as well."

You giggled lightly, before waving a goodbye, as you walked back towards your home. You couldn't help but to bid her one last wave as you were near your door step, luckily, she returned it. Content, you pushed the door open, and rushed upstairs to your room.

Recollecting your thoughts, you continued to brainstorm about what Mrs. Watson had mentioned. Apparently, Robbie may not be your next door neighbor, but he's considered one since he's close.

She mentioned that he frightened her, but knew that he was gentle at heart. Slightly scoffing, you plopped down to your bed, and played with your books.

You knew Robbie wasn't the type to be gentle inside. After the many times he'd ruined your reputation in just one day, it's almost impossible to think he bears twinge of kindness inside. You've seen how he acted in school. Even to his friends, he acted rash and rough. He was a boy that cared less of his own environment, and more for himself.

'He just needs someone to change him.'

She's wrong.

You can't change someone who's already shown their true self.