- Mother -

I couldn't attend school the next day. I knew people would bombard me with what'd happened. I decided to stay home and nurse my mother, as she had fallen ill. She'd been sick for almost 3 days, and her condition hasn't been growing better.

My father could help, but he's been gone ever since I was little. It hardly affected me, since at a young age I had no clue that the world we live in is such a monstrous place. Now I realized that monsters are actually people in disguise.

I gently combed my mother's hair back with my fingers. She was so beautiful, even with the evident bags under her eyes, her prominent cheekbones, and chapped lips. The sight of her powerless state made my heart crumble slowly. I couldn't lose her too.

I lost dad. I lost my chances of being with the boy I love. I can't lose her now.

Almost as if she'd read my mind, I felt her hand suddenly squeeze my own. Gasping, I leaned closer to her. She coughed. Once. Twice. Before revealing her orbs to the world. She smiled ever so lightly, making her eyes crinkle. Something I kinda got from her.

She whispered to me, in a hushed tone, "Something bothering you dear?"

I shook my head in response, but she could read me like an open book. Her brows furrowed, raising her hand to caress my cheek. I leaned to her touch.

It was quiet for a while, the sounds of heart beating could practically echo in the room. I could feel her breathing slowly, I was scared.

"I may be old, but not stupid young lady. Your eyes seem puffy, have you been crying? Do not lie."

Her last statement sounded like a weak threat. I looked down, unable to face her. I knew that the moment I revealed that I'd fallen in love with someone, she'd be disappointed in me. After all, I'd promised that I'd finish my studies before focusing on relationships. Last time I was in one, she and dad were beyond protective. I can't let her down again, but I couldn't lie to her too.

She took my silence as an answer, "Hm, you have been haven't you? Sweetie, who is he?"

I met her gaze. I searched for the fury in her eyes, but I couldn't find it. Her gaze was soft, but curious. Not a hint of weakness, or anger.

"Mother.. I'm not actually.. y'know- w-with him. I just-" sigh. It was difficult to even finish a phrase. I heard her chuckle. It made the atmosphere brighten again. Oh how I missed it. I smiled at her, weakly.

"Honey, I knew from the start there was someone special poking your big heart. But, why have you been crying? He didn't propose did he-"

"Mom!"

"Oh, alright. Your tears seem nothing like tears of joy, so what did this bastard do?"

I laughed at her humor. My mother was always the 'feisty type', as father would phrase it. I wondered why I couldn't inherit that from her. I wouldn't be crying like a baby if I did.

"He.. lik- loves someone else."

The once lively atmosphere, suddenly fell silent. Not even the sounds of my haggard breathing could be heard.

I recalled the moment when his back faced mine. I admitted to him, how much I love him, and how much he meant to me. But all of those feelings were discarded and abandoned. I could never forgive him for playing with my heart. I was so deep in love, that I fell blind.

It'd happened to me before, except, Felix treated me like a princess. He'd compliment me, cherish our memories, laugh at the times where my cheeks would redden. He didn't need to tell me he loved me. Just the sight of him showing it, was enough.

That was until he moved away.

I hadn't seen him since.

No more contact, no messages, whatsoever. The only thing he left, was the feeling of his lips lingering over mine.

Who knew that our first kiss would be our last?

The moment he left, I was devastated. I refused to face reality, and I didn't. I wasted majority of my time finishing novels, books, trilogies, and such. My imagination grew bigger through every syllable I read. I found my happiness there, and I hoped Felix found his own as well.

My mother squeezed my hand again, signaling me out of my thoughts. I looked down, apologizing for blanking out.

"Who is this young man? Alec?"

"N-no, mother. It's.. the new kid from school. Y'know? The same kid that lives just one house down from here?"

She narrowed her eyes, attempting to remember, "Ah! The son of Mrs. Kay? Mrs. Watson was gossiping about them. She said he's rather... scary."

"The same intimidating kid who I unfortunately fell for. I'm pathetic."

She rubbed my wrist this time, "Falling for someone who looks 'terrifying' does not make you pathetic. It means, that you ignored his fearful appearance, and looked for what was good inside him."

"But I couldn't find it-"

"No, he's hiding it. Every person who is accused of for being 'mean' or 'horrible' holds something beautiful."

She coughed, and I stood up quickly to hand her water, but she held my wrist.

"I'm fine. But honey, you need to help him find it. Who knows? Maybe those sad tears of yours will be replaced with joy, hm?"

That teasing smile of hers, never fails to make me return it. I leaned over and embraced her, carefully. She rubbed my back soothingly.

For once, I felt safe. I felt loved. I felt the hope rushing through my veins.

Alright, I take it back. Mrs. Watson's right.

He does need someone to change him.