Chapter 5

Y/n's POV

Kenny wasn't supposed to be driving, I was on the edge of my seat every time a cop passed by. Thankfully it was kinda hard to tell if Kenny was underaged since he was so tall but it didn't ease my worried when someone looked longingly in our direction as we stopped at crosswalks.

I look over at Kenny who was extremely focused on the road. "Kenny why were you mad earlier?" I begin prodding.

"You know I could ask you the same thing. Why did you leave at the end of class?" He said trying to hide his irritation. I look away bitterly and out the window watching trees rush by as we drove. I was on the verge of brushing out and I couldn't hold it back any longer.

"Stop the truck" I said in a stable tone "what? Why? We're in the middle of no where" "just stop the bloody truck" I said my voice cracking. Kenny did as I demanded and pulled over at the side of the road. Once he places his truck in park Kenny glances over at me, but I continue to remain still, my vision fixated in front of me.

As Kenny stares at me for an explanation I open my mouth only to begin balling.

'Hiding your emotions is like a bottle. You can only hide it for so long until the glass begins to shatter.'

And I've hit my point. Of course it had to be because of Kenny being frustrated with me. "Woah Y/n" he leans over the best he could and gives me a hug I leaned in but it just wasn't the same with the console forcing us apart.

I tried settling myself but instantaneously I stopped, it all stopped... the mental pain, the physical pain. I was finally numb. Kenny was stroking my hair hushing me. I would be lying I'd I said I didn't like it. When he stroked my head it gave me a sense of hope that things will get better. In that moment I'm suddenly reminded of people telling me day by day, week by week, month after month, 'not to worry. Everything will get better.'

What a phoney thing to say.

That sentence only filled people with false hope, that things would get better but in reality you learn to live with it, to hide it. Ten year old Y/n wouldn't even know what the hell to do right now but, the present me does and it's just to mask it with layers of tape over many shards of broken glass no matter how busted.

"Are you okay?" He said in a soft voice "I think so" I reply in an empty tone. Kenny pulls away from me peering into my crystal c/e eyes while I got lost in his beautiful sky blue ones.

"What's going on?" "My mother... she's drinking again, not showing up at home, being a prostite instead of working at her real fucking job. It's really bothering me" I say wiping my one eye with the sleeve of my sweater. Kenny stares at me with pity, I hated it. The last thing I wanted was him to pity me. His life is so much shittier then mine. Am I selfish to complain?

"Stop feeling guilty. I know what your thinking" he speaks interrupting my negative thoughts. Kenny with a soft expression reaches for my hand, interwinding his icy long skinny fingers with my own in attempts to comfort me. I sigh.

"Whatever happens I'm here for you" he states bringing my hand up to his lips, pressing a small kiss near my knuckles. Normally I'd pull away and tell him to "cut the shit" because that's what couples would do but I was too exhausted to bother.

Sometimes I wish Kenny would stop being so loving to me, it really sends me the wrong message. I know he doesn't love me so why must he continue to do shit like that?

Realizing I was working myself up I pull away from Kenny and flip of my happy facade. "Thanks Kenny" I smile. "So, why are you so mad?" I ask, quick to end my side of the conversation which in turn surprises him. But once he turns to face the front of his wheel he begins to frown.

"Stan was being a dick I was kinda fed up with his bullshit" he finally responds. I press my lips together my attention not leaving Kenny for a second. Stan and Kenny fighting? I thought I heard it all.

"I see" I mumble in thought, not bothering to press for more.

It was quiet after our small conversation I wasn't sure what to say and it seemed Kenny didn't either. I could sense he knew I wasn't telling him the whole story "we're going to the mall" Kenny states starting up his truck.

I snap out of my thoughts remembering that we're still on the side of the road. "What? But I don't have my wallet" "that's fine I'll pay for you" he smiles making a u-turn with his truck. 'Idiot, don't smile like that people may get the wrong idea.... '