Chapter 17

"Are you sure you want to spend another weekend with me?" Karen coughed her voice more raspy then yesterday "ya of course" I smile ear to ear "I want to spend as much time as possible so you can get better." Karen looks away from me and towards the window "Y/n do you not remember what I told you?" I take a deep breath in "don't listen to him. Focus on what's better and who knows? Maybe you will!" I gently drop my backpack to the floor as I take a seat in the chair next to her bed.

I sit in thought as Karen watches sternly out the window, suddenly something popped into mind. I stand from my chair "do you want me to open the window and let in some fresh air?" I question walking over "can't" "?" I stop and turn to look at her.

"Why not?" "The nurses said that I could get sick from the germs the wind could carry. That's why my room is filtered with the machine over there" Karen points to the small machine beside the door I entered through. Sadly I don't recall it being there since the last time I visited and no wonder they asked me to sanitize before entering.

"Okay do you want to draw again?" I ask making my way back to my seat "sure" Karen smiled happily. I bend down in my seat then pull my backpack onto my lap "is Kenny coming?" Karen questions as I pull out a small stack of printer paper and a box of pencil crayons.

"He works most of the day but he told me to say hi for you" I reach for the light hard covered book and place it in front of Karen she reaches for a piece of paper and I open the pencil crayons.

"You know I'm kinda worried about my brother" I raise my eyebrow in questioning "he seems so sad and just looks..." Karen hesitates "not well?" She nods in response. "I noticed that too... but I think it's because he cares about you so much."

It was silent for awhile but I think that's because Karen and I were both in thought about Kenny. "Sometimes I wish I never existed" I snap my head upwards towards Karen. There were tears in her eyes as she set down the pencil crayon "don't say that people care about you so much" "y-ya I know but-but if no one cared about me or if... I never e-existed saying good bye wouldn't be s-" Karen gasps for air I abruptly stand from my chair knocking it over. "Karen breath!" I reach for her hand as she frails trying to catch her breath. "Someone help!" I shout as I move the stuff away from Karen.

Suddenly doctors and nurses burst into the room "what happened?" The nurse asked me as the other two target towards Karen. "We were just colouring and talking" I replied shaking, the nurse pulled me out of the room. "This wasn't my fault was it?" I clasp my hands to my head still trying to wrap my mind around the situation. How did it get to this point? "Ma'am, you need to relax you're hyperventilating. Breath slowly." It was hard to slow my breathing while my heart was racing at the speed of a cheetah and I was shaking intently like a jackhammer.

The nurse told me to sit down against the wall beside her just in case I were to pass out and I believe I was getting close, the world was swirling before me. I couldn't stop worrying about Karen. My mind kept running on the worse and it was only making me tremor more. Even though the nurse was beside me I felt alone, I couldn't hear anything anymore and darkness was flooding my vision. I was terrified so I just closed my eyes to avoid seeing whatever was trying to take me.

It felt like floating underwater but somehow I can breath.

Cold.
Still.
And Silent.

~

My eyes flutter open and I let out a faint sigh when I flew forward from where I was laying. I press my hand to my head with confusion "hey..." a deeper voice whispered. I slightly turn my head to see Kenny sitting beside my bed holding my other hand. "Kenny?" I question "what happened? Where's Karen? Where am I?" I was throwing questions one after another without giving him a chance to speak.