the painter - markus

this is mostly poem based ngl lol but i swear it gets there.

You carefully sipped the hot coffee, sitting peacefully outside in your backyard, listening to the trees sing as wind flew with them. You felt your pet sit next to you, rubbing thier head against your leg. You smiled, rubbing thier head before returning, you let a sigh roll out for your mouth. Your heart ached. You missed your neighbor, Carl. 

Carl was one of your closet friends, he let you into his home practically all the time, you both became close, especially in painting. You both were famous for your passion, and compassion to each other. You felt a tear leak down your face, and cursed.

"Don't remember." You mutter, feeling your heart turn into dust at the thought of the sweet, old man. "Why him." You place your coffee down, walking into the center of your backyard, falling to your knees, hugging them as you moved yourself into a ball to try and hide the pain. 

A sudden doorbell caught your attention, you took it as a way to escape, and sat up, brushing yourself off as you wiped your red eyes. "You have a visitor, Miss (Y/n)." Your house spoke, you nodded, walking to the locked front door and opening it. "Hello?"

No one stood there, you saw the road as passing cars whizzed by, you saw your flowers blooming outside your house, but no one was found. You looked one more time, and caught something. A bright pink on the cement stuck out, you walked out, your sundress flowed with the wind as you bent down. And froze seeing what it was. 

The canvas was about the size of a microwave, it was dancing with colors. You felt a small sound of grief leave your throat once you noticed the details, and saw it was you. You held a pink rose, smiling affectionately as colors danced in the background, you wore a white dress, so you stuck out like a thumb. You turned, looking at the back, you felt your heart stop. 

𝙞 𝙬𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙖𝙡𝙬𝙖𝙮𝙨 𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪. 𝘼𝙡𝙤𝙩𝙝𝙤𝙪𝙜𝙝 𝙞 𝙣𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧 𝙨𝙖𝙮 𝙞𝙩 𝙚𝙣𝙤𝙪𝙜𝙝, 𝙞 𝙡𝙤𝙫𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙡𝙞𝙠𝙚 𝙖 𝙙𝙖𝙪𝙜𝙝𝙩𝙚𝙧, 𝙢𝙮 𝙗𝙧𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙡𝙞𝙩𝙩𝙡𝙚 𝙛𝙡𝙤𝙬𝙚𝙧. 𝙔𝙤𝙪 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙜𝙤𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙩𝙤 𝙙𝙤 𝙜𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙣𝙜𝙨, 𝙞 𝙘𝙖𝙣 𝙖𝙡𝙧𝙚𝙖𝙙𝙮 𝙩𝙚𝙡𝙡. 

- 𝘾𝙖𝙧𝙡

You felt hot tears trail down your face, your shaky hands held the beautiful artwork as careful as they could muster. You ran inside, slamming the door as you choked on a sob. You placed the panting on the floor and began crying, your mourning heart crushing into ashes as you still saw the smile on the old man's face.

Hours passed and you didn't move, you watched the painting, you saw yourself slowly dancing with the flower, the unknown wind flying through your locks as a soft smile set on your face. You were content. The next morning you placed a ladder on the tree, your mouth held a hammer, you placed the nail carefully, took the hammer and smashed it into the tree. You tied a knot as a pale strong string held onto it and on another tree across the garden of your backyard.

You looked to the painting in your hands, you kissed it, your mind racing and telling the words you oh so wanted to tell Carl, you sniffled, but smiled, hanging us the canvas on the string. Backing away after placing your tools away, you smiled as your backdrop of just your trees, bushes and greenery complemented the painting. 

Suddenly the doorbell rung again. The house warned you and you oddly questioned who would be at the door at 6 AM, but to your surprise no one was there again. But this time a painting sat peacefully on your 'welcome' rug outside. You saw a android bird staring at your, a nice beautiful contrast of blue behind it. You grabbed it and walked forward, searching the sidewalk for anyone. There was no one.