Chapter 9 - "Divided"

Somewhere on the other side of a mountain...

Geared for battle, an army is preparing for war. Shields and swords in pristine condition, soldiers who have abandoned their family, their home, offer their lives to the battlefield. In constant struggles between both sides, the conflict shows no signs of stopping. Destruction, death, despair, loss, war is but one of many events that will eventually be forgotten in history. Yet, despite this, humanity continues this reckless pursuit of violence, without ever learning of the consequences. That is... not until that being of existence came.

In the middle of it all, every soldier, warrior, commander, general, and those that were nearby looked from above and knew from the moment they saw it, it would decide everything. When they set their gaze upon it, everyone knew what the outcome already was. For what what they saw, was the cataclysmic dragon that was said to bring forth the final days of all existence. 'The Great Demonic End Dragon' has arrived.

It fell from the skies like a meteor, blowing away both armies from the impact. Then, from behind this benevolent beast, jumped down three humans, an elf, and a small dragon.

"Arufaz! Why always the rough landing?! Are you expecting us to get used to it?!" Frick commented.

"What does it matter...? We got here, anyways..." Arufaz replied.

"You humans should count yourselves lucky that you're still alive until now." Draiz said.

"So, then? Is this where the war is supposed to be?"

"It looks like it. And..." Strazz sees the many people all around them. "It seems that we landed right in the middle of it!"

"And all of these people are fighting because of land disputes, right?"

"It looks that way." Rayla said. "The old orphan keeper said they were fighting over a land that had an abundance of fertile soil, and to whose territory it actually owns. And another reason is because both sides are currently facing a scarcity of food rations. And since there isn't enough to go around with, they've decided to take it from others instead."

"Well... then, I'm entirely against this..." Arufaz said with anger raging his eyes.

"Arufaz...?"

The group took a step back from Arufaz as his very presence causes the ground to shake, and the very earth that he's standing on to slowly crumble. Then soon afterwards, Arufaz lashes his tail to the ground splitting the war-zone in two, dividing the two opposing armies that were at war with each other in separate sides of the battlefield.

"Gu... guh... Huh? Ah! The earth split in two!" Strazz said trying to stand up after he fell down from the earthshake.

"Whoa... His tail did that?" Frick said in awe.

"A-Arufaz..." Rayla said.

As smokes and dust clear out of vision, the two opposing armies regroup and then tended the wounded. However, both the armies' general in command walk towards the newly formed gap between the two lands, wishing to talk with the apocalyptic dragon.

"Dragon! To what business do you have in our lands?!" the man from the right side of the gap said; wearing thick metal armor, and carrying with him two swords from both sides of his body. "Have you come here, merely to parley with our war, and enjoy seeing our suffering?!"

Suffering? What was he talking about? Isn't the existence of a war itself already leading to their suffering? This man is making no sense.

"Though we may be enemies at arms, I agree with his side as well, however I ask for curiosity, what do you find amusement in at the sight of people in torment?" an old man from the left side of the gap said, wearing thick clothing and holding in his hand, a giant sword.

These guys are so annoying. I want to hurry and get this over with, so I can move on to why I came here. "I want you all to stop your pathetic dispute and just make up already." I said that without a care in the world, because it's true. I want all of this be over already, but if I fly away from this now, I'll probably regret it somewhere in the back of my mind.

"Blasphemy! Like we would ever work with the likes of them!" the man from the right, wielding a two swords, said.

"You took the words right out of my mouth. We will erase your existence in history!" the old man from the left, with the giant sword, said.

I breathed fire to the bottom of the gap and in between the two men from both sides. That sure shut them up.

"Oh, great dragon. From the looks of it, you seem to want to put an end to this dispute. If so, then what course of action do you think should we follow in this dire crisis of ours?" the old man from the left said.

True. As much as I want this get over with already, how do I even go about doing it? Well, maybe I could start by doing this...

"W-what are you doing?!" the man from the right said as I shot continuous blasts of fire from my mouth directly at the bottom of the gap.

I was certain I saw some kind of gas that looked like steam from under the ground. If so, then there's probably some kind of water-system underground, right? This is like one of those scenes in the movies. If my read is wrong, then I have absolutely no other way of ending this feud peacefully. So I better be right about this. Then, from the base of the earth came forth hot, fiery lava!

"Was this your intention all along?! To end the war by perishing both sides with scorching lava?!" the man from the right side said.

"This... wasn't how I imagined it would be at all....."

Our MC has brought forth magma from the deepest parts of the earth. Not exactly what he expected, he now faces the wrath from both sides, who were against each other, as they believe that he intends to end the war by destroying their lives.

Look forward for the next chapter! "The Highest Mountain"