Chapter 11 - "The High Mage"

"You're leaving?! But... why?!" Rayla asked in shock.

"I said I'd take you to Easia, and I did. My main goal for coming here was to go to Mount Everlast right from the start." even though I didn't think it would be named 'Everlast'.

"But that's... I mean... we... we haven't asked you about a certain event of the past yet!"

"Rayla! That's...!" Frick said, looking anxious.

"I know. But... I'm sure that... Arufaz would know what I mean, right?"

"Sorry, but... I'm completely oblivious as to what you're saying."

"Ehh?"

I can't really tell these guys that I'm not actually from this world, even if they think that I'm an ancient legendary dragon who's been around for hundreds of years. "Anyways... I'll be leaving now. Come on, Draiz."

"Arufaz!" Rayla shouted. "........ we'll see each other again..... right...?

I looked at Rayla's eyes as they glistened like raw emeralds under a starry sky.

"In time... if you'll keep waiting, then maybe... someday..." I said that as I flew up to the horizons, not waiting for their replies and just continued on flying towards the distance. My destination... Mount Everlast!

-------------------------------------------

Somewhere in the skies above...

"Say, Arufaz..."

"What is it, Draiz...?"

Arufaz was talking at a pace that a normal conversation would only identify as 'slow-talk'.

"Why'd you even bother helping those humans? They don't even occupy a tenth of our lifespan, meaning that they die sooner before us."

"Well... I guess... I helped them because they helped me back..."

"Huh? What does that mean?"

"I helped them travel faster, while they helped me tell the location of the mountain that I was heading."

"You mean this Mount Ever-... something...? What's in that mountain that you would go so far as to help out a bunch of humans?!"

"Now just calm down, Draiz... you'll know when we get there..."

"Is that the place?" Draiz asked, pointing at the summit of a mountain surrounded by snow clouds and sides covered in frost.

"Huh... I guess we're here, then."

Flying over the top of the mountain, it was sort of strange to see a porch there, even though it's supposed to be uninhabited. I landed on the porch, still not entirely accepting the fact that there's even a porch here. Draiz jumped off from my back, and we both looked around the area.

"So this the highest mountain in the world, huh...? I can't say I'm not impressed. Looking from afar, the view is just amazing." Draiz said, not even trying to hide his honesty.

Draiz was right. The view from this height is really great. But I wasn't really all that impressed, considering the fact that I can just fly in the sky and see the same view, if not a better one.

"Well, well... what do we have here." a voice said, coming from behind us. Me and Draiz turned around and we saw a woman wearing a very revealing outfit. She was a slim, attractive, and tall woman who wore a long-sleeve open coat, a bra, panties, and high boots that reach the thigh and all her clothes are colored black. She also had short black hair that is only at shoulder-level. As for her accessories, she only wore a spiral earring on her left ear. "I certainly wasn't expecting any guests today. What brings you all the way out here?" she was clearly looking straight at me. Her gaze doesn't even shift at Draiz.

"Draiz... it's time you know why I came to this mountain."

"What do you... mean...?"

"You listen too, young lady. I've come here... to sleep...!"

"..............................................." silence filled the air as both the lady and the young dragon are still processing on what they just heard.

"Sleep?! Again?!! What's with you, Arufaz??!!!"

"Ahahaha!!!" the young lady laughed. "I have never met anyone as interesting as you, before..." wiping the tears of joy from her eyes. "Very well, I can let you stay here. However... on one condition."

"Condition?! You dare to make a deal against Arufaz?! We can just take this whole place over! Like hell would we listen to you!"

"What are your terms...?"

"Arufaz! You're actually going along with this?!"

"You can be reasoned with, I see. Very well, then. I shall state my terms. If you want to take residence here, you must only do one thing."

"And that is...?"

The young lady smirked. "To let me experiment on your bodies while you do nothing but follow my orders." she said, looking all hungry for knowledge, and expressing her excitement for future experiments.

"Wha-... WHAT DID YOU SAY?!!" Draiz yelled in shock. "That's basically saying that we'll do anything you say, and you're making a pawn out of us!"

"No problem..."

"Wha-...?!"

"However... you'll leave Draiz out of this."

"Protecting your young one, I see? Alright. He won't get involved. But, you on the other hand, shall be my guinea pig as I research for your Dragon Anatomy."

"That's fine by me... who are you, though...?"

"Oh, where are my manners... you can call me Mara. But that's all I can tell you. I'd rather not say anyone my real name so leisurely to anyone. But, I can tell you that I'm a very powerful sorceress. How about you?"

"Arufaz... and this tiny one here is Draiz... my disciple."

"Stop calling me tiny!"

"Ah. I see. So he was just your pupil, and not your son? Nor your little brother?"

"No... we're not biologically related at all..."

Mara chuckled at the little dragon. "What are you laughing at, human...? You dare mock my guardian?! Arufaz! Just end her, already!"

"Try me. I dare you." Mara sounded confident.

"You won't be smiling for long, human. Arufaz can wipe out this entire mountain in an instant!"

"Oh? You have the power do that?"

"Maybe..."

"Interesting. I wish to see this power for myself, if you don't mind. Will you show me?"

"Why this human... are you underestimating Arufaz?!"

"Oh no. Not at all. In fact, if what you're saying is true, then I only want to see with my eyes, a being that has the capability to change the very formation of this planet."

I can tell she wasn't lying. I guess she's one of those curious types. If she were in my world, I think she'd pass for a scientist there.

"Now then... show me!"

After a farewell from an old group of friends and an encounter from a crazy appealing sorceress, our MC's sleep quest continues!

Look forward for the next and last chapter of this arc! "Residence"