Chapter 21

[I took that photo as a reminder of my best friend. He loved the blue sky.]

"Your hunger for revenge is worthless."

"....pika!!!!"
"Kurapikaaaaaa!...."
"Oi Kurapika!!!!!"

Kurapika snapped out of his daze and looked at Leorio. "I have been calling you since five minutes!! Are you even listening?!!!" Leorio asked annoyed. "Sorry....what were you saying?" Kurapika asked, obviously he had not payed attention to Leorio. Leorio had to use all his mental strength to keep himself from strangling Kurapika. He had been talking for about an hour, only to be ignored by him. Taking in a deep breath he repeated what he was saying.

"Mika said something really strange about her hometown."

"Strange????" Kurapika asked raising his eyebrow. "What did she say?" He added.

Leorio's eyes turned serious as he explained what Mika told him about her hometown.

Flashback:-(when Leo Leo and Mika went to collect firewood)

Mika's strength really startled Leorio. She was so tiny yet she was able to carry at least 30 firewoods by herself. "So..Mika, what is your hometown like?" Leorio asked in hopes of knowing the secret behind their* strength.
(* Mika, Midori, Dawn and the people from their hometown)

"My old hometown?...or my new hometown?" Mika asked him as she picked one more firewood. "Hmmm...tell me about both!" He said after thinking for a while.

Both huh. Mika shut her eyes. She had no problem in telling others about her hometown. Nostalgia filled her eyes. The memories she had locked deep within her mind came flooding back.

"My old hometown was situated on the eastern side of the Silverwind Kingdom, or you can say around the outskirts of the Nightshade Crypt. It is not very easy to locate since it is located really deep inside the great ridge. The eastern side was the forbidden side because demons like me resided there. Those who dared venture it never got out alive. " Mika explained.

Hearing that Leorio went pale.

"The eastern side has one rule - 'Only the strong have the right to survive.' So..they built ranks. Stronger demons were ranked high and they enjoyed all the luxuries. The weaker ones lived in sheer poverty and barely had anything to eat. They were treated as toys , either killed for fun or turned to slaves.  Most of them died due to poverty . Their condition could not get any worse when the war between the Silverwinds and the Nighteshade crypt started. Since my hometown was situated between both the clans, the people perished greatly. All the crops were destroyed and our food stock ran out." Mika explained.

"When food was not available the stronger demons preyed on the weaker demons. Weaker demons would often involve children of my age or younger than me. " Mika spat out in disgust.

"Th-thats awful..." Leorio felt horrified at the idea of small children like Mika being treated that way. Killed for fun...Killed for food....Slaved.. . He clenched his fist staring at Mika. Mika's eyes held no emotion at all and it was extremely concerning for Leorio. Small children should not have eyes like that. Their eyes should not be so dead...so..lifeless.

"I-I guess since you were strong... they could not hurt you, right???"

"No Leorio... The me from the past was just a helpless urchin. I lost my parents in the war and was turned into a slave when I was 5 years old. By 7 they did not need me anymore so they decided that it was time to kill me." she said as she sat down for a short break. She looked up taking in Leorio's expression. He didn't knew her so well yet he looked concerned and horrified..and ..even angry. That was new for her. "How...how did..you escape ?" He managed to ask her.