TROUBLE

It was the day of the corporate event and I was on the edge of my seat, my knee bobbing up and down from nervousness as I watched Harry adjust his tie in front of the mirror. Harry must notice this, because he furrows his eyebrows and stares at me through the mirror.

"Rosie, are you okay?" He asks, turning around. Harry then presses a hand to my forehead before moving to my cheek. "You're warm. Perhaps it's best if you stay."

I shake my head immediately. "No, I'll be fine." I say. "I want to be there for you." Harry smiles at me before reaching inside his slacks and taking out a rectangular box. "What's this?"

"On my way home I passed by a jewelry store," he says, opening the box up to reveal a diamond tennis bracelet. "I figured this would accentuate your beauty, like the angel you are."

"Harry—" I say, looking up to him. "I don't need you to get me things."

"I know. I wanted to get it for you." He takes it out of the box and wraps it around my left wrist, the coldness of it made goosebumps rise up and it weighed my hand down a bit.

"It feels expensive," I point out. "How much did you pay for this?" I raise an eyebrow.

Harry smiles at me. "That's not important, what matters is that you like it. And I assume you do?"

"I do, I just—"

"So what is five thousand dollars anyway if you're happy?" At this, I choke on my own saliva, but before I am able to question it, he grabs my hand and stands me up. "Looks like it's time to go, guess you'll have to ground me later, huh?"

I hated what was to come. I love Harry so much and my kids, and to think that later on, he'll be hating my guts would be absolute torture.

As I looked down on the bracelet, all I could think about was how guilty I felt. Why does everything have to happen when we're the most happy? Why do people want to see Harry suffer? He's done nothing but be a good man and husband and a father.

It seems like life just wants to see him down all the time.

I dreaded this day all week and I dreaded the drive there, Harry would give my hand a light squeeze from time to time to make sure I was doing alright and reminded me that I looked beautiful.

All the while, I held a secret that would make him fail. I hate this, I hate this, I hate this.

Once at the docks, we are being dropped off in front of the boardwalk, the water hitting the rocks below us kind of calmed me, but as we approached the yacht, anxiety took over me.

As we stepped foot inside the yacht, everyone turned to look at Harry with wide grins on their faces and champagne flutes on their other, congratulating him on his enterprise success and it's anniversary.

"Everything's going as planned, I suppose?" Harry asks Gerald who places champagne flutes on both our hands.

"Every little thing." He says with a grin. We were the last ones to arrive as the yacht begins to take off, putting weight on my shoulders.

"Silas didn't join?" Harry asks as he takes a sip from his glass, the mention of him making me stiff.

"Ah, he's somewhere around speaking to the board of directors, you know him." Gerald says.

"Well I hope he stays out of my way. That way, my evening won't be ruined."

But it will be, my mind says. As he engages in conversation, I step aside, downing the champagne like a shot before going for another. I looked over the railing down at the fast moving water, feeling a presence beside me.