Flowers

"Mornin' Ollie!" I call as I walk into the 'bakery'.

"Mornin' Mrs Solomons," he mumbles before turning back to whatever he was doing.

It's always the same when I walk in, a mumbled greeting and then complete avoidance of eye contact. I don't take it personally because I know Alfie's threatened each and every one of these men, individually, about making eyes at me, but I still always make the effort to know them all and engage in friendly conversation.

"How are you feeling now Ollie?"

"Umm, not too bad I suppose," he replies, keeping his eyes on the book in front of him.

"Honestly? Because if you need some time to rest up you can-"

"No! Alfie would kill me, he needs me here."

I've learnt over the years not to argue with Ollie when it comes to Alfie; his loyalty will always prevail over common sense.

"Well, I know a doctor who'll see you out of hours. Want me to give him a call?"

His lack of objection says enough.

I place a gentle hand on his arm. "Take it easy though, yeah? You don't need to go at 100% all the time."

He nods and mumbles his thanks before rushing off clutching his books and papers to his chest.

I carry on towards Alfie's office, greeting the men I pass on the way.

"Ah Mr Carter! How's your wife?" I shout, spotting the young man hard at work. He looks tired; dark circles heavily seated beneath his eyes and he jumps when I address him.

"Oh Mrs Solomons, she's good. Well... tired. Twins are hard work you know?"

"Twins!" I exclaim, "oh that's fantastic!"

"Yeah, two boys. Stanley and Robert. Ahh they're gorgeous though, both the spit of their mum and completely identical, it's amazing," he gushes.

"I'm so happy for you Mr Carter. But you should be at home with your boys, not here."

"Oh I can't..."

"Look, if you go quick Alfie won't even know you're gone... I'll cover for you anyway."

"But-"

"Go! Get some sleep, help your wife, spend some time with your babies," I say, pushing him towards the door. "We'll see you in 2 weeks."

"Thank you Mrs Solomons," he says, stifling a yawn and hurrying out the door.

He manages to disappear around the corner just before Alfie comes out of his office.

"Oi!" He points at me, leaning against the door frame, arms folded. "In 'ere. I got somethin' for you."

I smile, ignoring the looks from the men on the floor, and make my way over to him. He holds his hand out to me and take it, but he spins me unexpectedly so my back's pressed against him and covers my eyes with his free hand.

"Close your eyes," he whispers in my ear.

"Alfie, you ain't giving me a choice."

"Shush," he orders, directing me slowly into the room and kicking the door closed behind him. "It's meant to be romantic ain't it? Open 'em..."

He pulls his hand away to reveal the biggest bunch of flowers I've ever seen; roses, lilies, tulips, the whole shebang, in gorgeous blossoms of pinks and purples.

"Alfie," I say through a smile, circling round the desk to get a proper view.

"Yeah, well you see, the thing is I didn't know which were your favourites right, just knew they had to be pink and purple. So... I had to get them all didn't I?"

I narrow my eyes at him, suddenly suspicious.

"What have you done? Who have you killed?"

"I ain't done nothing! And no-one who don't deserve it. I just love you don't I... Bloody good job and all, amount those things cost me," he mumbles

"Well thank you, Alfie. They really are beautiful."

I pull him close and kiss him, my fingers playing with the scruff of his beard.

"I ain't joking love, thought I was gunna cark it when they told me the price-"

"Alfie."

"Felt like I'd been shot darlin'-"

"Alfie. You're ruining it."

I go back to the flowers, examining them more closely when I find the card of the shop Alfie got them from and get struck with an idea.

"You know who we should send some of these to?"

Alfie just eyes me up.

"The Carter's."

He just pouts and shakes his head.

"James Carter... blonde lad... a bit chopsy... you dislocated his knee when he asked who I was..."

"Yes!" he says, violence the only way to trigger his memory.

"His wife gave birth to twin boys the other day. Stanley and Robert."

"Hmmm," he mumbles, scratching the corners of his mouth, "strong names..."

"You hate them."

"I hate them... I don't think we should be rewarding such poor name choice with flowers, love."

"But Alfie, please. It'll mean a lot to them. It means a lot to me..."

He takes an exaggerated breath, fulfilling the facade that he's debating saying no before answering.

"Alright."

"And I gave Carter two weeks off."

"You what!" He takes a few steps towards me and takes my face in his hands.

"I think Ollie needs a break as well..."

"Love, darlin', what are you doin' to me? This business is a finely oiled machine, you know, everyone in their place, right? Doin' their own little jobs, and it don't work when you start giving 'em time off, left right and centre. Jesus... two weeks love, you're killin' me!"

"It'll all be fine Alfie," I say with a smile, pushing his hair back from his face and over his ears.

"Hmmm... fine. Ollie gets a long weekend. And for that Carter lad, well, if he ain't back in two weeks it'll be you that's in trouble."

"Yeah?"

"Mmm."

"What'll you do to me?" I ask, walking my fingers up his chest.

Alfie catches my hand before I manage to undo his top button.

"Don't you start with that talk here love, or you'll end up over that desk," he growls, lacing his fingers with mine.

"I love you Alfie," I say.

"And I love you, darlin'," he replies, kissing me gently before pulling away. "Go get those fuckin' flowers sorted then. And try not to bankrupt us, yeah?" 

-----------

credits to Peaky-yamyam