EXPECTO PATRONUM

THE SUMMONING OF A PATRONUS was something Scorpius kept private to himself

THE SUMMONING OF A PATRONUS was something Scorpius kept private to himself. He wasn't one to showcase his patronus, especially in front of other classmates. It wasn't something to be put on display- it was private, personal. Solely his.

And as he roamed the Forbidden Forest with nothing but his suit jacket slung over his shoulder and an empty Bertie Bott's beans box, he couldn't help but wish he had his Patronus by his side to keep him company.

Patrolling the edge of the Forbidden Forest was Hagrid's duty- but with him on leave, it meant the duty fell upon Filch and the Heads or Prefects willing to volunteer. With everyone enjoying the Yule Ball, he took it upon himself to volunteer himself. McGonagall had stationed him on the west side, close enough to see Hagrid's hut in the distance between the pockets of space behind the dense treeline. The forest sang her eerie song in partnership with the wind that rustled her leaves.

The clop of hooves drew his attention to a centaur who reared his forelegs high.

"Young one, what are you doing by the edge of the forest?"

Scorpius took a slow step back. "Patrolling, sir. May I ask where your colony is?"

The centaur snorted. "I belong to no colony. Banished after the Battle of Hogwarts. You look awfully familiar..."

When the being stepped closer, crossing the edge of the Forbidden forest and thus forcing Scorpius into the pale moonlight, he knew he was screwed.

The centaur's eyes went wide. "Death Eater."

The sword at the centaur's flank was poised under Scorpius' chin before he could move back.

Scorpius scrambled to find the words to speak. "The sins of my father are not my own."

The sword tip pressed painfully as he swallowed.

"You are the son of Draco Malfoy?"

He raised a hand to slowly brush away the sword from his neck. The centaur lowered it- but not because of his insistence upon moving it. Something was lurking in the trees, approaching fast.

The centaur took off deeper into the forest, which seemed to be curling in on itself...slowly dying.

Bloody hell. He knew what that meant. A few still roamed the forest, but none had dared to come this close to Hogwarts. Without his wand on hand, he would be subject to a Dementor.

The creature ghosted over the grass that froze tight, flora curled in on itself forever caught in a twist of anguish until the Dementor would leave.

"Filch!" he hollered. "DEMENTOR!"

He hoped that would be enough for the old man to find his way to him with an urgency quicker than his usual pace. Hell Mrs.Norris probably walked faster than him. 

But neither Filch nor Mrs.Norris would reach on time. The Dementor circled once, twice, then a third before leaning down to feed off him.

He collapsed onto his knees, sorrow and pain filling him to the brim. Losing Rose, disappointing his father, Albus leaving him. It all crashed and burned in his mind- a constant replay of all the mistakes he made.

He was losing consciousness and quick. He yelled for help between the assaults on his most depressing memories, but as he grew weaker and weaker he realized there was nothing he could do. 

The Dementor fixed on the memory of Albus punching him across the face. While Rose was a big factor in his sorrow, his betrayal to Albus was fresh. Albus and Thea were the only ones he considered true friends. Losing Albus' trust, violating their friendship, ruined him. A final crack in his calm facade that shattered the cool persona of Scorpius Malfoy. 

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!"

The Dementor reared back as a gust of wings flapped violently. A dragon patronus soared through the sky, circling him. Every time the dragon faded, the girl's voice chanted it once more, returning it to the glowing brilliance that drove back the Dementor. 

"Scorpius? Scorpius can you hear me?"

His eyes followed the sound of her voice. Blinking several times, he was shocked to see Rose.

"What-" he wheezed in a breath, "What are you-"

"Enough." she said, pulling him up. "I'll explain in a bit. We need to get out of the Forbidden forest. The Dementor can't enter the school grounds."

The border was a few yards away. 

"You can make it." he groaned. "A patronus. Yours wasn't like this before. It was an otter."

She channeled her patronus again when the Dementor sweeped in for another attack.

"I know." she tucked her elbows under his arms, dragging him towards the border. "Teddy actually told me something about it."

"What?" he asked, barely clinging onto consciousness.

She looked down at him just as the dragon disappeared. "Your patronus can change when it's eternal love. My happiest memories were with you Scorpius. That's why I couldn't form a patronus. And viewing your memories, it was enough for me to make one. To make yours."