MUDBLOOD

MCGONAGALL'S FACE WAS ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS, he had never been more grateful for Rose stepping back to let him deliver the case for the Headmistress' verdict

But while the victory was short lived, there was something to be said about how and why the Dementors were making a move on Hogwarts. If Lana Avery wasn't the one to kill Ursula Goyle, that meant there was a killer amongst the students of Hogwarts- and knowing his house's history, all eyes would be on them.

Which meant this was the time to buckle down the latches of the Slytherin dungeons and make sure all the students were safe and sound. 

"Mr.Malfoy, may I have a word?"

Although McGonagall posed it as a question, it was very obvious that it was a statement that would not be denied. 

He briefly met Rose's eyes, giving a curt nod to Lana Avery. Watch her.

Skirting behind McGonagall he reached behind him to close the doors of the Great Hall so no one would hear their conversation.

"Slytherin students are at risk." she stated firmly before Scorpius even got the chance to speak. "I am splitting you all amongst the other houses. I have a feeling that the culprit must be working from the Slytherin dungeons."

"And what makes you say that?" he narrowed his eyes, ready to defend his house.

McGonagall lifted a brow at his tone. "Because the dungeons are the only secret passageways to other parts of Hogwarts that can be used for discreet travel. We have nearly doubled the number of professors patrolling at night since the Battle of Hogwarts, and none have seen Dementors or suspicious figures within the actual school grounds- which leads us to believe that someone may have something similar to the Marauders' Map."

"Someone who also damaged the wards we put up to defend Hogwarts and that can only be done from the inside. For now, for the safety of all Slytherin students, it is best that we don't leave you with your own house. A working theory suggested by Professor Longbottom is that the culprit may be hiding more Dementor induced killings amongst Lana's crimes. There are several students who have been missing, but we've kept it low profile to avoid panic."

"Is that why you were upset about the Death Mark symbol?" 

She sighed heavily. "I was worried at first that you were the reason behind all of the events." 

Scorpius quirked an eyebrow. "Thanks for that."

Her eyes conveyed her sincerest apology, so he took the punch in stride.

"It's probably related to the Dark Arts professor position." he joked wryly. "Thea went off about it being cursed by Voldemort..."

McGonagall snapped her head up. "Prefects were made to teach spells in place of the Defense Against Dark Arts position this year."