OCCLUMENCY

THE PREFECTS SEEMED LESS THAN enthusiastic about his idea

THE PREFECTS SEEMED LESS THAN enthusiastic about his idea. In fact, Brody outright rejected his idea of sending out the firebird message to all the other Houses.

"This will get us expelled." Brody argued. "My father will kill me!"

"If it was Lana receiving the box, you wouldn't think twice about sending this firebird would you?" Scorpius snapped.

Brody flushed at that, glancing at his prefect girlfriend. 

"Well, no." he admitted. "But that doesn't mean it's a good idea. Think of the consequences-"

"You don't understand." Lana bit out. "You don't know what it's like to be targeted for your parents choices."

Scorpius met her eyes. "So we're in agreement?"

"Yes." she said firmly.

Brody scoffed and threw his hands up. "Are we seriously considering this? Blimey, Scorp, if we get caught then-then-"

"We won't be." Scorpius muttered, looking for his wand.

Lana pulled her's from her back pocket. "Just use mine."

Brody reached out to push down her hand. "Lana, what are you thinking? You'll get caught!"

She scowled. "Stop being so cowardly."

Scorpius had no comment for that. Their relationship drama could sort itself out when it wasn't in the confines of his dorm. He took Lana's wand and began to cast the spell. 

The phoenix emerged from the wisp of Lana's wand. He was surprised at how receptive the wand was to his magic. There was something familiar about her magic.

He painted the symbol for the phoenix to recreate, and sent it off to complete its mission. He kicked out the prefects and collapses in his bed, blocking out the potential consequences he would face for the action.

~

The Great Hall was bustling with those who spoke of the incident that happened the night before.

Scorpius felt the eyes of the Great Hall on Slytherin table. Rose took a seat next to Albus, across from him. He felt his eyebrow twitch at that, but kept his cool. Thea plopped next to Albus, leaving him empty on both sides. Which also meant that Maryse Zabini took her moment to slip in.

"Scorp, did you hear?" she whispered low. "About what Lana Avery did?"

He gritted his teeth but maintained an air of mild curiosity that Maryse fed on.

"The witch sent out a phoenix fire message to all the Houses." she continued, glancing up to see the Headmistress approach the podium. "McGonagall is furious. She tracked the spell back to Lana this morning. A few Hufflepuff girls were right outside her office when she found-"

"Students, may I have your attention please." McGonagall's voice sent a hush over the students and professors. "As you may know, there has been a terrible and distasteful message sent to all the Houses. I am addressing the matter now, so expect no further questions to be answered by myself or the staff. Voldemort has not returned. The Dark Mark is not a symbol of his return. The incident has been traced to the culprit who will be punished accordingly. No further questions will be answered. That is all that you, as students, need to know. Enjoy your breakfast. Now will Scorpius Malfoy, Rose Granger-Weasley, and Lana Avery meet me in my office."