BUTTER BEER

ROSE FELT THE SECOND HOGSMEADE trip was something she very much needed

ROSE FELT THE SECOND HOGSMEADE trip was something she very much needed. Not even Lysander/Scorpius issues could bring down her mood. She made up her mind; she was done with boys. Much like how Roxanne had put it when she first came out, men are mindless pigs.

While Roxanne pressured Dominique into trying to 'stumble' upon our Seeker, Rose found herself pausing in the middle of the street as a familiar flop of brown caught her attention. Within the frosted windows of Honeydukes, was her crush and her cousin by a candy display. She quickly read the signs- his blush, her passive and indifferent gaze.

Seeing Lysander confess to Lily in the middle of Honeydukes broke her heart. Although her heartache was soothed slightly when she noticed Lily rejecting him, still a small part of her refused to let go of her childish crush on him.

And then there was Scorpius, an aisle behind, peeping between the shelves with Althea Nott. Despite knowing Althea's very clear sexuality, Rose couldn't help but be jealous. Not just of their proximity, but how comfortable and at ease he was with her. She recalled a time when they were like such, so entangled were she, Scorpius and Albus. And now it seemed as if they had replaced her with Althea Nott. A much more fitting addition to their Slytherin Trio.

Rose quickly moved out of the way, skirting the corner of Honeydukes as Scorpius and Thea made their way out. She pressed her back against the red brick wall, squeezing her eyes tight in hopes that she didn't catch their eyes. She wasn't ready to face Scorpius after their tryst a week ago. Her hands still shook when she thought of how he shut her out, closed himself off entirely. It was like reliving the summer of fifth year.

"-tosses a wrench into my plans." she heard Scorpius say.

"Plans? For what?" snow crunched, Rose could barely hear Althea speak.

"My plan was for Lily to hopefully return Lysander's feelings and Rose wouldn't have a chance with him." Scorpius snapped.

Rose sucked in a breath.

"Wait, you knew how Lysander felt about Lily? How?"

"Amortentia. And a little memory nugget from a while back. I always thought Lysander liked Rose all those years ago. Now I realize it was actually Lily. Those summers he was talking about? Lysander would come and visit their house because that's where all the Potters and Weasleys went to hang out. He must've known that if he befriended James or Albus and they found out he planned to date Lily, he'd never the opportunity to even spend time with her. Rose was never the target of his affection, it was always Lily."

It was like rubbing salt deeper into her wounds. Rose couldn't breathe. Did Scorpius get a kick out of making fun of her to Althea?

She pushed off the brick wall, keeping her head low as she pushed past witches and wizards until a familiar hand caught her elbow.

"Ronnie? Hey, what's going on?" 

She looked up to see her younger brother.

He reached forward to brush off some of her tears. "What happened? Who made you cry?"