Chapter Five

“What the fuck is wrong with you? It’s not that hard to fucking understand Holly?!”

“It’s not that I don’t understand it’s that I don’t want to believe it.”

“Well I don’t care. It’s my life not yours. You’re not a part of my life anymore.”

“C’mon Matt, calm down. You’ve gone all red.”

“Do I look like I give two shits?”

“I don’t know, do you?”

“No. Now fuck off back to where you came from. Oh wait, nobody knows. The streets wasn’t it?”

A sleek, black car slowly drove alongside the kerb. The engine cut off and the blacked out window slid down to reveal the inside of the car. In the driver’s seat sat Jack wearing another Jagk shirt. Damn. Why did he even ask me for my number?

“Are you just going to stand there?” Jack smiled. His smile was perfect.

“N-no” I mumbled. It was cold again. I reached for the door and slipped into the fancy car.

“Here. You look cold.” Jack said handing me a hoodie from the back seat of the car. “Damn, why did you sleep on the street anyway?”

“I’m reckless and brave.” I said quietly slipping my arms into the too big hoodie. I was just grateful for the warmth. He had put on the heating as well.

“Hey, that would be a good song.” He grinned and reversed into a drive. He knocked over a trash can.  I couldn’t help but laugh out loud. He laughed as well. 

“I’m usually a great driver.” He protested and pulled a funny face.

“I’m sure.” I grinned.

“So just take that left.” I said pointing to the turn where I lived.

“This one?”

“Yes. Wait never mind you missed it.”

“Hey! Third time lucky.” He laughed.

We arrived home in about 10 minutes. In all honesty, it shouldn’t have taken that long. Jack insisted on playing the radio and sang along. Not that I was complaining. He turned it up to the highest volume when The Rock Show by blink-182 came on and we both screamed along.

“Because I fell in love with the girl at the rock show!” we both shouted at the same time. Jack grabbed my hand and started wiggling in his seat singing at the top of his lungs while nonchalantly steering the car. I felt normal around Jack. If I tried to sing my favourite bands with Kim, she’d laugh at me. Bounce by System of a Down played next.

“I’ll do the singing okay? You do the pogos” he shouted over the insanely loud music.

We bounced in the car screaming along. We were going to get pulled over. This had to be illegal.

When we nearing the address I gave him, he turned down the music.

“Sorry, I want to look respectable for your parents.” He smiled. If only he knew. It was best to keep it from him. I didn’t want him to get tangled up in this mess.

“Oh, okay” I said quietly staring at my fingers.

“Wait, what? Why are you sad?” he said looking confused.

“I’m not sad. Why would you think that?” I said faking a smile and looked at him.

“I’m not an idiot.” He said pulling into my drive.

“Sorry. Look thanks for the ride. And for the singing.” I said taking off my belt and opening the door.

“You’re a good singer. Better than me. Hope you don’t get in too much trouble. I’ll call you!” Jack said seeing that a light had turned on in one of the upstairs rooms. I closed the car door as softly as I could. Jack drove away waving. He should have been looking in the mirrors because he knocked over the bin. He quickly jumped out of the car, picked up the bin, winked at me and drove away laughing. Man, he really was crazy. I turned around quickly as I heard the front door open.