Chapter Seven

“So come on. Spill the beans what happened Matt?”

“Walked into a pole Holly.”

“You and I both know that’s a lie.”

“Okay, there was these drunk guys and they were just acting like douches to some people I know.”

“So you went up and punched them?”

“Exactly. Hey! Careful, that ice is cold!”

I was awoken by someone shaking my shoulder and whispering to me. I was asleep in a ball, curled up against the door, using my hands as a pillow.

“Come on. We’re here.” Jack whispered. He leaned over and undid my seatbelt. He left to retrieve my suitcase from the back seat. I stretched and stepped out of the car. I couldn’t see much as it was dark but I could faintly see a gate, that we had driven through which led to the driveway. Two other similar looking cars were parked near Jacks. Up a few stairs, was a large, modern-looking house.

It was beautiful. A few withering flowers were planted beside the door. The floor to ceiling windows were curtained but light shone through them.

“Hey, sorry about the other cars. The guys are staying here for a while. We’re writing new material.”

Jack said apologetically from behind me. He held my suitcase in his arms. He was smiling at my open mouth. I had always seen these kinds of houses but I never imagined people actually lived in them.

“So this- this is your house?” I asked.

“Yeah, it’s not much but-”

“Not much?” I questioned him.

“Never mind. Come on, it’s cold out here.” Jack smiled and walked up the stairs. I followed, hugging my arms around myself. I was still wearing his hoodie. I should probably give it back to him. It looked ridiculous on me.

“Yo. Asshole! Open up.” Jack put the suitcase on the floor as he banged on the door.

“Password?” A voice asked from inside

Jack looked sideways at me, shook his head and rolled his eyes. “I love Alex.”

The door opened and Alex stood in the doorway. “That wasn’t so hard now, was it?” he smiled.

Jack, head down, stepped inside bringing my suitcase with him. I still stood at the door.

“Oh so you must be Holly? I’m Alex by the way.” he said, holding out his hand.

I shook it and he gestured for me to come inside.

It was a lot warmer in the house. Alex guided me into the living room where Rian and Zack were talking on a large white sofa. Zack was playing his pink bass and Rian was scribbling down notes onto a piece of paper, a beer in his other hand. Jack had just sat down with them and had already picked up an acoustic guitar. He lied down on the sofa and started to play a song I had never heard before. He had left my suitcase in the middle of the room. A large HD TV was hung on the wall above a large amp. They had left MTV on. About ten beer bottles were strewn on the floor and two empty pizza boxes were lying in the corner. Scrunched up pieces of paper were thrown around the room. The only thing clean thing in the room was the box of picks on the coffee table.

Jack continued to strum his guitar as he introduced me to Zack and Rian. “Zack, Rian this is Holly. Holly this is Zack and Rian.”

They smiled and waved. I muttered something that I hoped was a hello. They didn’t even notice and went back to talking.

I looked awkwardly at my feet and looked over at Jack. He had sat up and had stopped playing.

“Do you want to sleep?” he asked looking directly at me.

“I-I, d-don’t know.” I stammered. God, I was so awkward. Why couldn’t I be like Kim?

Alex laughed from behind me.

“You should probably sleep anyway. You can have the couch or come in my bed” he winked. Was he being sarcastic? He had to be lying. I felt myself blush. I was probably as red as a tomato. Thankfully, Alex spoke. “But dude you said I could sleep in yours with you tonight.”

“Oh yeah. Sorry Holly, I promised Alex.” He joked. “I’ll go get blankets and pillows.”

Jack stalked out of the room into the hallway and ran upstairs. I sank down onto the sofa beside Alex. He was flicking through channels on the TV.

“So, you’re the girl from the club, right?” he asked, his eyes fixated on the TV.

“Right.” I answered watching the TV with Alex.

“You’re the one that slept in the alley?” he said turning to look at me.

“Yes.”

“Jack went crazy when he saw the picture of you on the news. He ran right to his car. Didn’t even tell us where he was going.”

“Oh, really? That’s sweet.” I said looking at the TV, avoiding eye contact.

Zack suddenly stopped playing and stared at me. “You’re the alley girl?” he asked, eyes wide open.

“Her names Holly.” Jack said, reappearing in the living room, holding a large duvet and two pillows.

“We’re leaving now. Bye Holly. It was nice meeting you.” Zack and Rian said waving as they ran up the stairs.I waved and smiled politely.  Alex left silently after Rian without a goodbye.

Jack put the duvet on the sofa and walked over to zip open my suitcase.  He picked up a random t-shirt and asked, “Is this a pyjama top?” I rolled my eyes and sat down beside him. We took all the clothes I had packed and searched for pyjamas .Jack smiled as he found various band shirts and laughed when he saw my boner t-shirt.

“Hey look, we can match!” he said in a high-pitched girly voice.

 In my rush, I had forgotten to pack pyjamas.

“Oh shit. I’ll just sleep in these clothes.” I muttered and kicked off my shoes.

“Wait a minute.” He said and left the room. I sighed and put all my clothes back in the suitcase.

Jack returned holding just a Jagk shirt. “Just wear this. It gets hot in here anyway.”

“Turn around and don’t look.” I said to Jack. He smiled and put his hands over his eyes. I turned around and stripped and slipped on his massive t-shirt. As I adjusted the shirt, he began to sing, “Come on Holly, would you turn me on?”

“You can open your eyes now. Isn’t that song about Hollywood Jack?” I asked and sat down on the sofa.  He took his hands away from his eyes and smiled.

“I don’t know.” He shrugged. He took the duvet and spread it over my legs. “Sorry about the duvet. I hope it doesn’t have stains on it. It’s Alex’s. He gets lonely when I’m not here.” He joked.

I laughed and lied down. Jack stood there awkwardly, as if not knowing what to do. He bent down and kissed my hair. “Night Holly.” He said and turned off the lights. The room went dark and I turned onto my side as the door closed with a soft click.

“Dude! Where the fuck are my pillows and duvet?” I heard Alex shout before I fell asleep.