Chapter Twenty Seven

"This will tickle a little bit." The middle-aged nurse with a creased face said as she put a liquid over Claires baby bump. Claire giggled and lifted her legs up so her thighs faced her. The woman started to search for a heartbeat, smiling as she did so. Claire turned her head away from the machine and stared at me. She had never looked so young as she smiled at me, her eyes glassy. Her shaking hand grabbed onto mine and squeezed.

"Thanks for being here Holly." Claire whispered. I smiled at her and pulled my legs up onto the chair and  looked at the machine. Claire turned over and watched, grinning from ear to ear. I looked at my phone and bit my lip. Alex said he would be here by now. I had only just gotten here in time, I had to sign papers before I was allowed to go to Claire. The door opened behind me, and the three of us turned as Alex walked in, his hair wet from the rain. He smiled apologetically and took a seat.

"Sorry I'm late." He said drying his face with his sleeve.

I turned around and mouthed angrily at him. He shook his head and whispered that he would tell me later. I rolled my eyes and turned back to the machine as a loud beat sounded from the machine. The nurse smiled as Claire slapped her hand over her mouth. 

"That's your baby's heartbeat sweetie." The woman grinned, turning the monitor to face the three of us. I saw a small figure on that screen and felt myself smile widely. I looked back to congratulate Alex but he was already hugging Claire and staring at the screen. I had never seen him smile so much. Claire's shoulders were still shaking as Alex turned and smiled at me, 

"You ready for this baby godmom?" 

"What? I'm g-godmom?"

"Yeah, you and Jack." 

I couldn't help but run over and hug the two of them. Claire laughed from underneath Alex and I. 

"Okay, mother and child are getting squished here." We all laughed, tears running down our cheeks. We weren't ready for any of this, but we were excited. 

The ride home was emotional. Claire and I spent most of it crying, Alex trying to drive over our sobs. When we got back to the house, Alex decided to make chicken noodle soup, Claire's favourite, whilst telling us about Jack. I sat cross legged on the island. 

"How do I-?" Alex asked, staring puzzled at the soup packet. I slid off the counter and rolled my eyes. 

I could make Claire's soup in my sleep, god knows how many times I had made it for her. She winked at me and turned her attention back to the picture of the ultrasound. 

"When's Jacks flight landing?" I asked Alex, bending down to get a spoon.

"That was why I was late to the scan, he missed his flight." 

"What?" I asked confused, "How?" 

Alex took the spoon from me and started to mix, "He stayed with a few friends from home and must have lost track of time. He said he stayed over at Jacob and -"

"Jacob?" I asked, staring into the pot.

Alex turned away from the oven and leaned his back against the counter, "Friend of ours since high school."

I nodded, "So when's his flight now?"

"Tomorrow, midnight."

I groaned and sat up on the counter again

"Isn't that like illegal though?" Kim asked, raising an eyebrow. She absent-mindedly stroked a pillow, a bottle of Coke in the other hand. I took the bottle from her hand and took a sip before handing it back to her, a disgusted look plastered on her face. I stuck my tongue out at her and laughed at her face.

"No, he's not my real brother Kim!" I said, picking at my fingernails.

"I know, okay I'm going to be happy for you! So, how was it?" She asked. I groaned and we both ended up laughing. My sides started to hurt more as Kim spilt her drink on top of herself. We didn't even stop laughing as Matt walked in.

"You guys are screaming you know that?" Matt shouted over our laughs.

"Ironic!" Kim managed to say before calming down.

"What?" Matt looking confused.

Jack's POV

Great. Not only had I missed my flight, now Alex had stopped answering my calls again. When I came out of the airport, I called him straight away. He had been pretty pissed and hung up on me, saying he had to be somewhere. He said he would call later, liar. I sank down on the sofa and flicked through the channels, not even watching. I just needed to pass the time. A few hours passed and I was still bored, but I was too lazy to get my laptop from my bag. The doorbell rang and I thought about not answering it. It rang again and again. This person was persistant. I rolled off the couch and fell onto the floor. There was a knock at the window and I groaned. It was Whitney. I stood up and stalked to the door lazily and opened it. She paraded in, wearing a short dress and high heels. 

"Come on, we're going out!" 

"No." I said adamantely, "You made me miss my flight! If it wasn't for you, I would be back in L.A, and I-" 

"Oh shut up Baratit." She said, dragging me out of the house by my hand. I just grabbed my wallet as she slammed the door behind us. Could today get any worse?