Chapter Twenty Four

According to Jack, the first time I woke up, in the hospital, it was two in the morning. He said I was trying to get out of the bed and trying to pull the wires off of myself.. I don't remember that. I don't know why I did either. I was put back to bed and given something to make me calm down. I don't recall that either, I do remember what I dreamt that night.

"Welcome Holly, isn't it?" the woman asked, her hand on my shoulder. I hated people touching me but I persevered and nodded. Her black hair curled around her round smiling face. She was smaller than me but her husband was alot taller. His hair was a dark grey colour and his blue eyes were hidden behind a pair of glasses.

"Well, Holly, welcome to our house! Your bedroom is down the corridor, the last one on the right. Patrick, my husband, brought your suitcase in there. Oh yes, come meet our other children!" Juliet smiled enthusastically, waving me into the living room. Two girls of about seven years of age sat on the floor, playing with dolls, talking loudly, pretending to be their dolls. Their blonde hair was tied up in two ponytails, high upon their heads. 

"Holly, these are the twins Taylor and Maria. Say hello girls!" Juliet said bending down onto the carpet. I smiled weakly and said hello. Taylor and Maria stood up and said hello before getting more toys from the toy box. 

"Oh Holly deary, this is Matt, my only son. He's 17 like you!"  Juliet said pointing to a tall figure sitting in an armchair, earphones in. His dark hair covered his forehead, only his dark blue eyes showing. He smiled and waved, not bothering to take out his earphones. Juliet gestured for me to sit on the couch while she went to talk to Patrick. Sitting closer to Matt, I heard what he was listening to. 

"blink-182? Nice." I smiled. He heard me and took out his earphones. 

"Favourite song by them?" He asked, his raised eyebrow dissapearing into his black mop of hair. 

I raked my brain until I eventally answered, "Stay Together For The Kids."

Matt stared at the ceiling for a second then smiled, "Welcome to our house! By the way I would have accepted any answer to that question." 

I laughed as Juliet walked back into the living room. She smiled brightly and brought me to see my bedroom. Matt tagged along behind me. He was taller than I thought. The room here was small but the nicest I had stayed in by far. The three of us crowded into the room and looked around. 

"Feel free to put up pictures or anything, make it feel like home." Juliet said sitting on the white single bed in the corner of the room. A desk was sat in the other side of the room, next to the window. The view from the window was of Taylor and Marias swing set. I looked around once again as Juliet left. Matt lay on the bed and starting humming. The twins were outside with Patrick, singing Ring a Ring o' Roses. They laughed as they fell down and started singing again. I smiled and sat in the desk chair. I liked it here. I felt at home here, nothing could ruin this.

"Why do you need to talk to me Holly?" Alex asked confused, looking at me puzzled. 

I rested my head on the pillow again and stared at the dull, bleak hospital ceiling. I hated hospitals. The bleeping of machines, the sobbing of visitors, the horrible atmosphere. It made my stomach churn. I closed my eyes and reached for Alexs hand.

"What happened that night? I need to know everything. Please." His hand closed around mine and I heard him sigh.

"Okay,  just tell me if you me to stop." 

I nodded and waited for him to start.  

"So how was school?" Matt asked, sitting down beside me on the bed. He continued playing chords on his guitar while I spoke. 

"It was okay, I'm going to be graduating early, I worked ahead in the last school I was." I said. I was only in my last Foster Home for 3 months. They worked alot and trusted me home alone. There wasn't much to do in the house so I started to work ahead in my schoolwork. I always hated school but the work gave me something to do in that insanely boring house.

"Well done nerd!" Matt said ruffling my hair. I swatted away his hand as he laughed.

"I am not a nerd!" I said adamantly, frowning.

"Okay, then you're a geek Walker."  He joked

"Matt stop it! I'm not a-" I complained but Matt cut me off by crashing his lips against mine. I put my hands on his chest to stop him but I didn't want to. I was so in shock, what happened next. was a blur.