Day Five

Dear Reader,

        I'm going to be up front with you. I'm listening to my parent's arguing and only negative things can come from that. If only I could step up and say something, but the last time I did that it didn't get any better. Three things come to mind when I hear them: Control, Image, and Selfishness. That's all. Oh, and now lack of patience, and just plain rude. So here's my view on these things and why they should not be argued to this intensity. 

        Control: First of all, my parents are not God. They do not control anything. My dad said that he is supposed to control his own family. Control your family? NO. You're supposed to love your family no matter what. Listen to their opinions, embrace their weaknesses and strengths. Not tell them exactly what to do. We not machines, we are human beings. We were meant to be loved, not manipulated. You can't control your family anymore than you can control the annoying woodpecker by the gutter, or the nail that lodged itself in your tire. 

        Image: Our society is ridiculous. We only care about image. Examples? So glad you asked.

        "Such a beautiful couple!" They're seeing other people. 

        "That man is wearing a suit with nice shoes. He must have money." He's living with his mom.

         "That girl is fine." She cries herself to sleep.

        "Look at the happy family." The child dreams of running away while the parents are divorcing. 

See what I mean? Image ruins us. Makes us dress up and wear fancy things. It forces us to put on a mask for the rest of the world. How many times has someone asked you:

        "How are you?" And you respond.

        "Good." I'm good. My parents yelling keeps me awake. I often dreamt of running away. Yeah, I'm good.

        Selfishness: Hey buddy, you volunteered to start a family with someone else. You should've known that there is no room for selfishness. You've got to sacrifice sleep for a child, give up your time to spend with helping your wife, and hand over your money cause none of that will go towards you anymore. You volunteered for this, otherwise you would be living in an apartment alone. At you would have your selfishness to comfort you. All I hear are sentences using the word Me. "And how did that make me look?", "You weren't thinking about me.", and my favorite "You didn't have to question my decision in front of everyone!" Me. Give me. Love me.  Listen to me. Focus on me. I hate the word me.

        Now I know with most of these things you're thinking: "Oh yeah, like Rachel's never done that before." And you would be right. I'm totally being hypocritically, but here's why.  I'm fourteen. My parents are in their forties. I'm young and unwise; they are experienced in the ways of life. And here we are listening to the bickering of greedy children come out of forty year old's' mouths. I'd like to think that if I get married, we would never fight like this. I hope I'm right.

        Sincerely Yours,

       Rachel

"It's better to be unhappy alone than with someone."- Marilyn Monroe