Day Eighteen

Dear Reader,

        There are so many things I want to tell you about. I've had too much time to think this weekend. So I think I'll just start writing and see where my brain takes me. 

       I want to apologize to my friends who saw me have a mental breakdown. Most people don't ever get to to see that side of me. I keep it hidden. But I was just so frustrated with my family and the rest of the world, and probably dehydrated(Band camp without a water bottle. Never again.), I didn't quite understand how to keep that anger down. But the thing is, how do you apologize for completely losing it? For yelling, wanting to scream, for being on the brink of tears. How do I tell them that? I feel bad that I didn't have enough self-control to keep that monster inside. 

        "That secret side of me, I never let you see. I keep it caged but I can't control it."- Skillet, Monster. 

        Have you ever noticed how metaphoric Monsters Inc. is? Think about it. In Monsters Inc. no two monsters are exactly alike. And no one cares. There's no prejudice, no gender inequality, and no racism. A monster is simply judged on who they are. Wouldn't that be fantastic? To live in a world with no racism, no gender inequality, and no prejudice. Recently, Emma Watson gave a speech about feminism to the United Nations. It was fantastic, in case you haven't seen it yet. But anyways, I was scrolling through my Instagram when I saw that someone had the nerve to insult her speech about feminism. Yes, I'm a girl and a lover of Emma Watson so maybe I was slightly biased in this situation, but still. This guy was having a fit because Leonardo di Caprio gave a speech about global warming that didn't get as much press as Emma Watson's speech. So he took his anger out on Emma and feminism. I laughed at that for a while. First of all, it was on my friend's account, and this particular friend despises hate, especially towards Emma Watson. Secondly, this guy must've not seen her speech or maybe hasn't watched the news in quite a while, because gender inequality is a huge problem in our world. I read a memoir once on a girl who lived under the Taliban's rules and it scared me. Some Taliban men treated the women worse than they treated their dogs. That's saying something. The women were locked away in their houses wearing masks with mesh to cover their face. That's like wearing a bee keeper's suit. Could you imagine having to wear that day and night? It's insane how cruel some people can be. I know that may sound like man-hate but I guarantee it's not.

        It's hate for those who do not see everyone as equal.

Sincerely Yours,

Rachel Trokey

        “If anyone makes you feel less than you are, for the color of you skin, for where you come from, for the gender of the person you love, for the religion you have faith in, stand up, speak up, roar. No silence till we are equal.” 
― Thisuri Wanniarachchi, COLOMBO STREETS