Lie That Changed My Life

Niharika's POV

Its been 5 years that I went to India . Thinking of India remind me of my aunt uncle Ravi and Arjun. They used to love me ( except Arjun ) a lot . Things are different now. I don't  even know if I'm allowed in their home.

Everything changed because of a simple lie I told for fun and acted as a coward when I had the chance to say the truth.

5 years back

I was in my room doing my project work for my school. I heard someone knocking my door. I opened the door to find my maid, Jenny. "Anna madam is calling you to her study madam" she said. I was surprised because my mom gives her time for me only during breakfast. This must be something big. 

I slowly made my way to the elevator and pressed 3 button. My mom's  study  is in the 3rd floor. I'm kind of scared because my mom never gave good news to me in my 16 years of life. I can only hope that it's not bad news. I came out of my thoughts as the door of the elevator opened.

I entered her study feeling  like a deer entering lion's den. She is having phone in one hand and blue file in the other. To my surprise my dad was sitting in front of my mom. It is most unlikely to find them together at 8:00 pm. I never saw my mom before 10 at home. She is always busy.

"mom ! did you call me? "

"Neha! did your aunt know you were going to India before you went?" She asked with a stern look.

I gulped in fear. Oh my God ! why is she asking me now. I lied to her that I informed my aunt before going there. I wanted to surprise my favorite aunt and my mom wouldn't let me to go to India if I say that. So I had to lie. If I accept that now she  would never let me step in India ever. 

My heart was telling me to confess as there is something going on but my mind is saying to continue to lie. I'm really scared of my mom. She would go to any lengths to make things happen in her way. As my mind and heart are battling  with each other I heard my mom's high pitch voice.

"Nehaaaa , I asked you a question and you are standing like a statue. I have an important meeting tomorrow morning. Answer me now".

I stared at her in fear. " Sweety (my dad and his family in India call me sweety), did you real.... dad started in his soft voice only to be cut by my mom " Shiva, I asked you not to interfere".

"Neha, I'm waiting" she yelled.

"ye.....ssss mom I informed her "I lied.

"Sweety, Tell the truth. Don't fear" my dad said in a pleading voice. I understood from my dad's voice that my truth is important to him now.

"Shiva, I asked you not to interfere" she glared at my dad, turned to me and asked to leave.

I made up my mind to say the truth otherwise my dad is going to get into trouble. I don't mind even if I'm grounded forever.

"Mom, Actually ... I started only to be cut off by mom" Neha , I asked you to leave.

"But mom....." 

"Nehaaa, I heard your answer. Go. " she shouted.

I looked at my dad apologetically, he has unreadable expression. I knew I did a big mistake lying and now it is too late to correct because my mom won't believe as she will think my dad influenced me.

Having no option left, I went to my room.

I didn't know what happened and why there was even a discussion about my India trip which was 1 month back. 

Little did I know that my lie is the reason for me to earn hatred from my aunt who loves me more than her sons.