Chapter 25

Arjun and Karthik  are college friends . They both are so close that people either think they are childhood friends or brothers . Karthik's parents used to live in New York . His dad is a businessman . Karthik started software company  along with Arjun  2 years back in New York . Due to health issues , his parents shifted to California 6 months back for climate change . Since then Karthik lives alone in New York . Recently the company is facing some  issues with development  and Karthik asked Arjun to come to New York to solve the issues . 

7 Months back

Arjun is in love with Neha hopelessly as he doesn't know if Neha could ever love him back . When his brother , Ravi brought his marriage topic asking if he had any girl in his life , he couldn't tell about Neha . He agreed to marry any girl they choose as his mom is sick and wishes to see his marriage . Ravi asked his opinion on Siri and Arjun gave very positive opinion on her . The next day he travelled to New York .

The flight landed in JFK airport . He picked his luggage and came out . Karthik was waiting for him outside and hugged him tightly as soon as he saw Arjun .

" God ! I missed you so much . So good to see you after long time . But I'm going to miss you for few more weeks " Karthik said smiling sheepishly

" What do you mean ? By the way why are you with your baggage ? " Arjun asked 

" I have to go to California to settle  dad's business deal and also there is board meeting tomorrow which I have to attend since dad is admitted in the hospital . I'm really sorry Arjun , I have to stay there for at least for 2 weeks . I got call from mom after you boarded  " Karthik said apologetically

 " What happened to dad ? How is he ? " Arjun asked worriedly

" He has lung infection . He is doing better and will be discharged in a week . I have flight in an hour . My friend will take care of you till I return . She will be here any time . Don't worry " Karthik said

" Think of the devil ! look she is there . wait here , I will be back " saying that Karthik marched towards a girl dressed casually . Arjun looked at her .She looked very familiar . As he took a closer look , couldn't believe his eyes . At first he thought , he was dreaming . She is Sweety . Not even in his wild dreams he expected to see Sweety , that too as Karthik's friend .

" You are late as usual " Karthik complained

" You know ..... Mom ....." she said as if answering the reason for her being late in a sad tone . Anna aunty ( Sweety's mom )  never change , Arjun thought .

" You promised to help but you are escaping " Sweety complained . 

" Don't worry , I will think of something .Please take good care of my friend . He is coming here for the first time " Karthik said 

" This is the 100th time you are telling since yesterday . If I didn't know you , I would have thought you are GAY . You sound like love stuck puppy leaving behind his boyfriend with someone " Sweety laughed 

Karthik pouted " let me introduce him " 

That is when Sweety noticed Arjun . She was shocked when she realized him as her love . Happiness , sadness , excitement were evident on her face . The same goes with Arjun . They both stared at each other .

" Arjun , this is Neha and Neha , this is Arjun . You both take care of further introductions . I have a flight to catch  " saying that Karthik hugged Neha and said " bye Neha , I will miss you " . Arjun felt jealous seeing them together being so close .

 Then he dragged Arjun little far from Sweety and whispered in his ears .

" I know she is gorgeous and irresistible  but don't fall for her . You will be heartbroken " . It is too late ,  Karthik doesn't  know how much he  in love with her , Arjun thought .

" What " ? Arjun asked

" You have been staring at her . Don't do that and if you hurt her in any way , I will kill you with my own hands . Her life is already mess . I know you but I consider as my own sister . So I'm warning you , just in case " Karthik said seriously .

Arjun felt relieved when Karthik said he feels Neha as own sister . 

" Don't worry about her . I will never let her shed a single tear . What is wrong with her life " Arjun asked with concern

Karthik was shocked hearing concern and strong emotions in Arjun's voice for Neha . He thought they both have a past from the way they both were staring with each other but remind silent as it is not the right time to ask .

" We will talk about it later " saying goodbye to Arjun and Neha , Karthik left .

" Hi , Neha " Arjun greeted and Neha too greeted him formally .

' He recognized me but being formal . Maybe he went back to hate me . He never called me in these 6 years . He just showed pity in those 3 days . He is acting like a stranger so it is better to play along . Otherwise I cannot hide my feelings from him . He would just mock me if he find out ' Neha thought 

Arjun had similar thoughts. They both decided to act as strangers